Domestic violence ‘advice’ video row: Saunders’ boxing licence suspended
LONDON: Boxing chiefs suspended WBO super-middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders’ licence on Monday after he offered men advice on how to hit their female partners during the coronavirus lockdown.
The British fighter released a video on social media using a punchbag to describe how to “hit her on the chin”. He apologised, saying he would “never condone domestic violence” and has now said he will donate £25,000 ($31,000) to domestic abuse charities. But the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC) has announced the two-weight world champion’s licence has been suspended, pending a hearing.
A brief statement from the governing body said: “The British Boxing Board of Control, having considered comments made by Billy Joe Saunders on social media, have suspended his boxer’s licence pending a hearing under the board’s misconduct regulation, at a time and venue to be confirmed as soon as possible.” Saunders, 30, told Talksport radio it was a “silly mistake”.
“I didn’t mean for anyone to get upset about it,” he said. “There are people dying all around the world with coronavirus and I was just trying to take the heat off that a little bit. “It clearly hasn’t done. My sense of humour is not everyone’s cup of tea.” The boxer said he had received death threats and had deleted his Twitter account. Promoter Eddie Hearn said he was appalled by the “idiotic” comments.
“It’s one step forward, four steps back with Billy Joe Saunders and it is frustrating,” he said. “You just can’t do it, especially when you’re in your position.” “People who are in abusive relationships are watching that video,” Hearn added. “You cannot do it, it’s unacceptable.” Saunders issued an apology earlier this month after he called an airline to say a friend was displaying coronavirus symptoms. The friend was removed from the flight along with Saunders’ trainer Ben Davison and stablemate Josh Taylor. The friend subsequently tested negative for COVID-19. In 2018 Saunders was fined £100,000 and issued him with a severe reprimand about his future conduct by the BBBoC after video footage emerged of him appearing to offer a woman drugs.
-
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song?