Belarus football league continues despite virus
MINSK: As the rest of Europe shuts up shop to combat the new coronavirus, Belarus remains resolutely open for business. Restaurants in the former Soviet Republic continue to serve food, and the country’s football league plays on.
The Belarus Football Championship remained continue undeterred in stark contrast to leagues elsewhere on the European continent. Special measures have been put in place nonetheless including thermal cameras to check the temperature of fans as they enter stadia which are disinfected twice a day. As a result, a rare spotlight has been shone on the humble “Vysshaya Liga”, the Belarus first division.
Russian public television channel Match TV has bought the rights to screen its matches. And former Belarus star Alexander Hleb suggested in the German press that it could be lit up by the arrivals of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. “We’ve taken all the measures recommended by the Sports Ministry. All those who are in contact with fans...are supplied with gloves,” Belarus football federation spokesman Alexsandr Aleinik told AFP.
Crowds are well down though, by half last week compared to the week before, “enabling fans to distance themselves in the stands” said Aleinik. Since Tuesday however, there has been a shift in tone from the top.
In a meeting with the Chinese ambassador Lukashenko asserted that his country was “controlling very seriously” the situation. And newspapers and state television began to talk about the pandemic which has now killed more than 25,000 people. But they stick to the line that a general lockdown is not the solution.
Minsk, the capital, has become quieter over the past few days, over 65s are encouraged to stay indoors, pupils are authorised not to attend school.
During rush hour trains on the metro underground are not as full as usual, numerous companies are allowing staff to work from home. But bars, cafes and shops remain steadfastly open, without any self-distancing protocol advice for their customers. Ivan, an employee of a new technology company, has been working from home for the past three weeks. Yet despite that precaution he meets up with his friends every evening “at the gym or in a cafe”. The authorities justify the lax health regime by the strict confinement of those who have tested positive. Deputy Health Minister Elena Bogdan says that anyone who has the virus or is showing virus-like symptoms is isolated and hospitalised. And those they have been in contact with are placed in quarantine. The country’s opposition denounces the official approach. “The authorities are preparing enormous savings on pensions” opposition minister Mikola Statkevitch said caustically in a video message.
He was alluding to the way the coronavirus has taken a devastating toll on the world’s older population.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final