Boxer Waseem requests people to stay at home
KARACHI: Pakistan’s premier professional boxer Mohammad Waseem has said that he is in self-isolation and advised people to stay at home in order to contribute to the state effort to tackle coronavirus pandemic.
“I have entered into self-isolation and has never come out of home for the last one week. I advise all Pakistanis to stay safe, stay at home as health is much precious than anything else,” Waseem told The News in a formal chat from his hometown Quetta on Monday.
He also demanded of the prime minister Imran Khan to investigate who was responsible for spreading such a virus in the country. “There was no such virus in Pakistan then who brought it here,” Waseem questioned. “Who were behind the step which allowed infected people in Iran to enter Pakistan. It’s a big issue and it is the responsibility of the federal government to deal with this,” Waseem said. He said that because of the pandemic training is not possible for him. “It’s a big issue. I can’t train. Although I think I should establish a gym at home. All my colleagues in England and Scotland are at home as gyms have been closed. It’s a global issue and we should tackle it by limiting social contacts and staying at home,” Waseem said.
Waseem was scheduled to face former European champion Ryan Farrag in Kazakhstan on March 28 in a flyweight ranking fight. However the event was cancelled due to coronavirus outbreak which has taken thousands of life across the globe. Emerged in Wuhan, China, the virus has now spread across 180 countries of the globe with all business and sports activities having locked down. The former WBC No1 earlier was scheduled to fight on March 6 in Dubai but he skipped that due to lack of preparation.
Waseem a few days ago got injured in a car accident near Multan when his car which he was driving collided with blockades erected by a local police check post. He along with his coach Mohammad Tariq were going to Quetta from Islamabad. Waseem, also a former Asian Games bronze medallist, is yet to play a fight this year. He fought twice last year, winning both in Dubai. He is playing under Britain’s boxer management company MTK Global.
-
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies