Virus hits Europe, Asia badminton tournaments
KUALA LUMPUR: Badminton’s European Championships and Asia Championships have been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, officials said Friday, the latest sporting casualties of the outbreak.
The global sporting calendar is in tatters due to the rapidly spreading virus, with events from football’s European Championship to the French Open tennis postponed. The Badminton World Federation said the European and Asian tournaments, which had both been due to run from April 21-26, were being suspended due to the outbreak.
The Pan Am Individual Championships in Peru, the Croatian International and the Peru International were also postponed, the BWF said. “The health, safety and wellbeing of all athletes, their entourage, officials and the greater badminton community remains the top priority,” the group said in a statement.
All five tournaments were scheduled to be played within the Tokyo Olympics qualifying period, but the postponements mean they will no longer contribute to qualifying, the body said. The BWF had previously suspended all tournaments until April 12.
-
Dustin Hoffman Sets Clear Boundaries At 88: 'I Can't Look' -
Stephen Colbert Gushes Over His Wife Evelyn McGee Colbert -
Harry Styles' Fiancée Zoë Kravitz Feels 'excited' For One Reason Amid His Tour In Europe -
Google Challenges US Antitrust Ruling In Landmark Search Monopoly Case -
Trump Confirms He Will Not Attend Son Donald Trump Jr.'s Wedding With Bettina Anderson -
Jack Antonoff Has Awkward Response To Taylor Swift Wedding Question -
Gayle King Reveals Marriage ‘red Flag’ Involving Her Dog -
China's To Debut AI-focused 'Supply Chain Expo 2026' In June -
As Stephen Colbert Exits 'The Late Show' Podcasts Have The Last Laugh -
Trump Says Aaron Lukas Will Serve As Acting Director Of National Intelligence Following Tulsi Gabbard's Resignation -
Uber Considers Full Takeover Of Delivery Hero In Major Expansion Move: Report -
‘MobLand’ Future In Question As Tom Hardy Faces Firing Claims -
Danny Go's Son Isaac Dies At 14 -
Princess Anne And Husband Represent King Charles In Foreign Visit -
Prince William Travels Hundreds Of Kilometers From Family For Royal Duties After Istanbul Trip -
How Did Kyle Busch Die? Leg Injury And Lawsuit Draw Attention As Fans Mourn His Death