Volatile Kyrgyzstan temporarily bans protests
BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan: A court in Kyrgyzstan on Thursday banned mass rallies in the centre of the capital until July as the volatile country´s protest season gets under way.
A court in the capital Bishkek ruled to accept a request by the city administration for the restriction, which cited rally organisers´ failure to keep order and the threat of the coronavirus as reasons for a ban.
The move that will see rallies prohibited in the city centre until July 1 came after around a hundred people were detained this week over a rally to free an opposition politician. The rally spun out of control as protesters began marching towards the country´s main seat of government, triggering clashes with police who used water cannon and stun grenades to restore control.
Kyrgyzstan is expected to hold toughly-contested parliamentary elections in the autumn. "As practice shows, the leaders and organisers of such large gatherings do not control the process," the city administration said in its request to the court.
"As a result there are mass disturbances and obstruction to traffic." Kyrgyzstan has so far had no confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus that has killed 3,300 people and infected more than 90,000, but the city administration said the global spread of the disease made "the conduct of activities involving a large number of people" undesirable.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'