CSM money-laundering case: Nawaz Sharif’s nephew granted post-arrest bail
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Tuesday granted post-arrest bail to Yousuf Abbas, nephew of former prime minister and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Nawaz Sharif, in Chaudhry Sugar Mills (CSM) money laundering case.
Appearing on behalf of the accused, Advocate Amjad Pervez contended that National Accountability Bureau (NAB) accused his client of committing Rs410 million money-laundering. But, he added, his client presented all record to the anti-corruption watchdog because all money was transferred to Pakistan through banking channel and tax was also paid on it after it was declared to the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR).
He pointed out that Nawaz Sharif and Maryam Nawaz were also accused in the case and NAB allegations against Yousuf Abbas were weaker than those levelled against Sharifs. He contended that both of them had already been granted bail in the same case. He said NAB had taken the same stance against Maryam and Abbas, but Abbas was only accused of helping Maryam Nawaz in money laundering. He said Abbas had been behind the bars since August 8, 2019 but reference had not been filed in the trail court so far.
He said as per the principles laid down by the superior courts, the allegations of corruption and corrupt practices had to be proved by the prosecution. He argued that Abbas spent 48 days in NAB custody on physical remand but no solid proof was produced against him.
In his counter arguments, NAB prosecutor Syed Faisal Raza Bukhari, said Abbas was the director of Chaudhry Sugar Mills from 2006 to 2018 and a huge amount of Rs438 million was transferred to his account from abroad. It was further alleged that more than one billion rupees were transferred to Chaudhry Sugar Mills from the account of Abbas.
A division bench, headed by Justice Ali Baqar Najfi, had reserved its verdict in the bail plea after the two sides concluded their arguments, which was announced later on. The court directed the applicant to submit two surety bonds worth Rs10 million each for securing his release.
-
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest -
Hilary Duff Finally Addresses Ashley Tisdale's 'toxic Mom Group' Essay -
Ryan Coogler Explains Why His Latest Project 'Sinners' Is So Close To His Heart -
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's Longtime Friend Shares True Feelings Of Royal Couple On Andrew Arrest -
Who Is Punch? Here’s Everything To Know About The Viral Sensation Winning Over Internet -
Andrew's 'mental Health' Concerns Comment Sparks Outrage On Social Media