SHC seeks documents on NAB inquiry into Rs18bn housing scheme scam
The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Tuesday directed the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to file the documents that are relevant to their inquiry and mentioning the grounds for the arrest of two partners of a construction company involved in the Rs18 billion Fazaia Housing Scheme (FHS) scam.
The high court’s order came on petitioner Musarrat Nazir’s application filed against the allegedly illegal arrest of the FHS directors by the anti-graft watchdog. The petitioner’s counsel said the SHC had restrained NAB from taking any coercive action against FHS directors Tanvir Ahmed and Bilal Tanvir, but despite a restraining order of the court, the watchdog had arrested the two men and obtained their remand from an accountability court despite their inquiry being in the initial stages.
He said the arrest of the two directors by NAB was unlawful, requesting the court to order their immediate release. The watchdog had earlier informed the SHC that the arrest of the two men had been made under the NAB Ordinance, and no orders of the high court had been violated in this regard.
The SHC’s division bench headed by Justice Mohammad Karim Khan Agha observed that the matter pertained to the interpretation of the legal issue as to whether the line “no coercive action shall be taken against the petitioners” also prohibits the arrest of someone or not. The court directed the counsel and the deputy attorney general to address the court on the issue.
The court also directed NAB’s investigating officer and the special prosecutor to submit in the next hearing all the documents relating to the FHS inquiry and the arrest warrants, mentioning the grounds of arrest of the petitioners and the date when the inquiry was opened.
NAB’s special prosecutor had earlier submitted that the watchdog was conducting an inquiry into the FHS on allegations of cheating the public, and that the remand of the detainees was obtained from an accountability court.
The bureau had stated in their comments that their inquiry had revealed that the FHS had been illegally launched by the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) in partnership with Maxim Properties in 2015 on an illegally consolidated or adjusted land in Deh Allah Phihai located in District Malir’s Taluka Shah Mureed.
The NAB prosecutor said that in accordance with an agreement with the PAF, the construction company sold various units of the scheme to the public and collected billions of rupees in the name of booking, allotment and development of housing units of the said scheme.
However, added the prosecutor, since 2015 the management of the FHS has neither handed over the plots to the allotees nor carried out any significant development work, so the public stand cheated out of their money.
He said that the construction company’s directors — Tanvir Ahmed and his son Bilal Tanvir — were also signatories to the agreement with PAF officials regarding the launching of the FHS and involved in the sale of its units to the public, claiming that the petitioners in connivance with the co-accused had collected Rs18 billion from 6,000 people affected by the fraudulent scheme.
-
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards