SHC stops Sindh government from surrendering services of IGP Sindh
KARACHI: The Sindh High Court on Monday ordered that services of the IGP Sindh shall not be surrendered by the Sindh government without consultation of the federal government in terms of Article 12(2) of the Sindh (Repeal of the Police Act 1861 and Revival of Police Order 2002) (Amendment) Act 2019. The interim order came on a petition filed by the civil rights activists that sought enforcement of the newly-introduced police law that guarantees three-year tenure and posting of the IGP Sindh.
Petitioner's counsel Faisal Siddiqui submitted that the Sindh provincial cabinet had decided to recall or surrender the services of the IGP Sindh Kaleem Imam on January 15 without any consultation with the federal government.
He submitted that Article 12(2) of the Act clearly provides that the term of IGP Sindh shall be three yearsand as per the appointment of IGP, the tenure of the IGP Sindh shall end in September 2021 while he can only be removed or recalled before the term of three years by the provincial government -- if decision of the provincial government is taken in substantive consultation with the federal government. He submitted that there was no evidence to suggest that any substantial consultation had taken place between the federal government and the provincial government on the issue as the provincial government’s letter itself made no reference to any such substantive consultation.
He argued that the federal government, through its letter on January 17, had clearly stated that the federal government had only received the request of the provincial government, which is yet to be decided by the federal government. This also proves that substantive consultation is yet to take place. He submitted that the federal government also communicated to the provincial government that 'look after' charge of the IGP's post cannot be assigned to any additional IG working in the province being not covered under the inter-provincial agreement 1993. Also, in case the competent authority decides to transfer the IGP Sindh, a stopgap arrangement can only be made by the competent authority.
He submitted that the federal government’s letter also communicated that the issue of recall of IGP and posting of his replacement as requested by the Sindh government was being taken up with the competent authority and the decision of the same will be communicated to the Sindh government. He said that the Sindh government was communicated that the incumbent IGP Sindh shall continue to discharge his duties as unilateral repatriation of IGP and "look after" charges of the post cannot be assigned to any additional IGP by the Government of Sindh.
He submitted that the Sindh cabinet's decision on recalling the services of the IGP Sindh was illegal and violative of Article 12 (2) of the Police Act 2019 and impugned cabinet decision and letter are liable to be set aside.
The federal and provincial law officers requested some time to reply. Additional advocate general Ghulam Shabbir Shah submitted that no action in violation of Article 12 (2) of Sindh Police Act will be taken by the Sindh government. He said that neither the services of IGP Sindh had been surrendered or suspended nor he had been removed. Regarding surrendering the service of IGP Sindh, he said that the Sindh government has already communicated to the federal government and consultation process has been started.
The SHC’s division bench, headed by Justice Mohammad Ali Mazhar after preliminary hearing of the petition, issued notices to federal and provincial governments and directed them to file replies before the next date of hearing. The court in meantime ordered that services of IGP Sindh shall not be surrendered without consultation of the federal government in terms of Article 12(2) of the Police Act and adjourned the hearing till January 28.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years