Plea for removal from ECL: Counsel avoids giving LHC exact date for Nawaz’s return
LAHORE: Former premier Nawaz Sharif’s lawyer on Monday avoided giving an exact date to the Lahore High Court (LHC) for his return from London, saying he was not fit enough yet to travel back to the country. A two-member bench, comprising Justice Tariq Abbasi and Justice Chaudhry Mushtaq, was hearing a petition, filed by Nawaz Sharif, seeking removal of his name fromthe Exit Control List (ECL). When asked by the court regarding Nawaz’s expected date of return, his counsel said the former premier was currently under treatment in London.
Whether he will return or stay over there, the court asked. The court room burst into laughter when Justice Abbasi said in a lighter vein: “Court is asking about his return and someone else (Maryam) is ready to go abroad.”
Nawaz’s lawyer added that all of Nawaz’s medical reports were being submitted to the relevant authorities periodically with due diligence. At this, the prosecution questioned why Nawaz had not returned though his four-week travel permission had expired. He said Nawaz Sharif had been seen in a picture, dinning in a hotel.
The question prompted Justice Chaudhry Mushtaq to ask the prosecution lawyer to refrain from giving political statements and stick to the law.
The court observed that according to the order, issued by the LHC, Nawaz must return to the country after getting a fitness certificate from his doctors.
The court said the government could file a separate request if they did not believe reports regarding Nawaz’s health.
The court asked the government to go through his medical reports and inform the judges about its standpoint. A state counsel contended Nawaz Sharif should have moved a fresh plea if he intended to prolong his London stay.
At this, the bench remarked the government could file a petition for bringing him back.
The court adjourned the hearing for a later date and asked additional attorney general to submit reply to the reports.
Last week, the reports prepared by cardiac consultant Surgeon David Lawrence were submitted to the LHC.
“Nawaz Sharif’s condition was not stable yet. He requires surgery, which could not be conducted till improvement in his health condition,” reports said.
-
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest -
Hilary Duff Finally Addresses Ashley Tisdale's 'toxic Mom Group' Essay -
Ryan Coogler Explains Why His Latest Project 'Sinners' Is So Close To His Heart -
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's Longtime Friend Shares True Feelings Of Royal Couple On Andrew Arrest -
Who Is Punch? Here’s Everything To Know About The Viral Sensation Winning Over Internet -
Andrew's 'mental Health' Concerns Comment Sparks Outrage On Social Media