‘New concept’ revealed for women’s tennis
BRISBANE: Australian tennis officials said they were working on a “new concept” for women’s tennis on Wednesday after top players complained they were being shunted aside to make way for the men’s ATP Cup.
Brisbane International tournament director Mark Handley said tennis in Australia was in a “transitional period” following the introduction of the ATP Cup, whose inaugural edition is being played in Brisbane, Sydney and Perth.
Maria Sharapova and Sloane Stephens have strongly criticised scheduling at the WTA Brisbane International, also being played at the Queensland Tennis Centre, saying women’s players had been unfairly relegated to the outside courts.
Tournament director Handley, while not directly addressing the concerns, said Tennis Australia was looking at a new format for the women in 2021. Initial responses were positive, with former US Open runner-up Madison Keys saying she would welcome a women’s version of the ATP Cup.
Sixteen-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic also said a women’s version of the ATP Cup would work well. “Why not? I mean, I think this kind of format is something that would, I think, bring benefits as well and kind of positive outcomes for the WTA tour,” he said, after Serbia made it three wins from three in the round-robin stage with a 2-1 win over Chile.
“Of course, I don’t know what are the numbers and how is that going to affect their schedule, but it would make sense, considering the fact that we have the ATP Cup also played in Australia.
“They’re playing the WTA tour here in Brisbane as well, in Auckland, so most of the top players from the female side are in Australia already, so I think it would make sense.”
-
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song?