Sana’s bail by LHC unique: govt
ISLAMABAD: The federal cabinet has rejected a request to allow PML-N leader Maryam Nawaz to proceed abroad to enquire after her ailing father Nawaz Sharif who is under treatment in London and seriously unwell.
The cabinet, in its meeting on Tuesday, decided against permitting Maryam to travel abroad and maintained her name on the Exit Control List (ECL).
In a media briefing, SAPM Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan said a total of 24 cases were brought before the cabinet through a summary submitted by the Interior Ministry in which no VIP name was highlighted. It was decided that four names should be added to the ECL while removing eight names and eight cases were deferred and the request for removal of one name was rejected. She claimed that the federal cabinet showed consensus on the implementation of one law and uniform law throughout the country and endorsed the recommendations of the cabinet sub-committee about the ECL, which asked not to remove name of Maryam Nawaz from the list. She reminded that the cabinet had decided to remove the name of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif after clear instructions of the high court. The court orders were honoured.
Commenting on the bail granted to Rana Sanaullah, Firdous said the ANF would present evidence against the former provincial minister once the trial of the case begins. She suggested that the “influential” accused in the case had used “resources” which led to judges recusing themselves from hearing the case. Once a judge was appointed, Sanaullah’s lawyers “created obstacles” in the commencement of the trial by using different excuses, she alleged.
“The trial of the case has not yet started. The ANF will present evidence once the trial begins,” she said, adding that the LHC has set a “unique precedent” by granting Sanaullah bail. She said the minister concerned would comment on the decision. “What the court judgements are saying is being heard by you and seen by us,” she said without elaborating.
Replying to a question, she said there was no discussion on extension to the army chief’s service tenure. She said a committee has been formed, which is holding consultations with the opposition in this regard. She said the parliament is the first priority. If there is no agreement, other options will be considered later.
Maryam filed another petition in the Lahore High Court (LHC) on Saturday, seeking “one-time permission” to travel abroad for six weeks to meet her ailing father. Following her first request, the high court on December 9 had disposed of her petition and directed the federal government’s review committee to decide the matter “within seven days”. The government failed in acting upon the order. Maryam submitted another petition on December 21. Taking up her second petition, the court once again directed the federal government to inform Maryam on its decision regarding the removal of her name from the ECL. Adjourning the hearing of the petition till Dec 26, the court asked Maryam to wait for the federal government’s decision on the matter. The LHC will once again take up the petition of the PML-N leader on December 26.
Maryam had been arrested in August by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in connection with an investigation pertaining to the Chaudhry Sugar Mills. She was granted post-arrest bail by an LHC bench against two surety bonds worth Rs 20 million and deposit of an additional Rs 70 million. She was ordered to surrender her passport to secure her release.
Addressing the briefing, SAPM on Health Dr Zafar Mirza announced that the cabinet decided to reduce the prices of 89 essential and life-saving medicines. The reduction of 15 per cent is in line with the government's 2018 drug pricing policy. He said the prime minister issued directions to review the medicine pricing policy within two months and draft it so as to further ease the burden on the public. According to Dr Mirza, a comprehensive national medicine policy will be announced in the coming weeks to reform the pharmaceutical sector in the country.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final