LHC bans media coverage of protests on The Mall
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court on Friday put a ban on media coverage of all kind of protests on The Mall, a red zone, and also ordered the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra) to ensure the ban.
Justice Jawad Hassan passed the order hearing petitions against a prolonged protest/sit-in by employees of Punjab Land Record Authority (PLRA) on The Mall.
“The right to peaceful protest and procession is a fundamental right of all citizens in a democratic country like us. But unfortunately, this right has been continuously misunderstood as a licence to create inconvenience to the general public,” observed the judge in his order.
During the hearing, PLRA counsel Waqar Toor told the court that the protesters were contractual employees and they had been demanding regularisation of their services and increase in salaries.
He said contracts of several protesting employees had already terminated and action under Punjab Essential Services Act 1958 had also been initiated against them.
However, the counsel stated that in order to call off the protest the authority would negotiate with them and in case of failure stern action shall be taken against willful absentees and their contracts would be terminated.
DIG Operations Ashfaq Ahmad Khan told the court that the police were complying with the previous judgments of the LHC in letter and spirit. He said the police had been putting an all-out effort to ensure smooth flow of traffic in the city, especially on The Mall.
He pointed out that the government through a policy formulated in 2012 had declared the area from the Mian Mir Bridge to PMG Chowk a red zone and designated an alternative space at the Nasser Bagh and Attique Stadium for holding protests. He said appropriate legislation was required to avoid protests on The Mall. The DIG also presented a list of FIRs lodged against the persons holding protests in the red zone area.
Home Department Section Officer Ahmad Bilal said the government had prepared a draft of the “Red Zone Act” to deal with the issue. He sought time to present a copy of the draft before or on next hearing.
Justice Hassan directed the official concerned at the PLRA to negotiate and resolve the issue with their employees and to call off the protest by 2pm (Friday). The judge ordered the authority to take stern action against the employees continuing the protest after 2pm and also terminate their contracts.
The judge ordered the Pemra to ensure that no television channel will make coverage to the protest(s) being held on The Mall. The judge adjourned further hearing untill Nov 25.
The petitions were filed by Judicial Activism Panel and the Mall Road Traders Association highlighting people’s woes and marred business activities by continuous protests on the road by visual impaired persons and the employees of the PLRA.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'