Mian Mithu claims innocence in Ghotki violence case
“I have nothing to do with the Ghotki violence. In fact, my sons and nephews tried to control the mob, which was charged over an incident of blasphemy committed by a Hindu school principal,” Mithu, who is also a former parliamentarian, told the media at the Karachi Press Club on Tuesday.
After the Hindu community and civil society organisations raised a hue and cry over last month’s mob violence in Ghotki, spiritual leader Mian Abdul Haq, commonly known as Mian Mithu, who has also long been accused of converting Hindu girls to Islam, was forced to travel from one corner of the province to the other (Karachi) to try to clear his name.
“I have nothing to do with the Ghotki violence. In fact, my sons and nephews tried to control the mob, which was charged over an incident of blasphemy committed by a Hindu school principal,” Mithu, who is also a former parliamentarian, told the media at the Karachi Press Club on Tuesday.
A mob took to the streets in Ghotki on September 15 and vandalised the Sacho Satram Das temple and several stores after rumours of a local Hindu school principal making blasphemous remarks. “Some so-called Sindhi nationalists and civil society organisations have been trying to defame me by linking my family with the Ghotki violence,” Mithu, the Pir of Bharchundi Sharif, claimed.
Mian Aslam, Mithu’s son, said that on the request of the law enforcement agencies, he and his family went from Daharki to Ghotki and played a key role in calming down the charged mob.
Replying to the allegation of forcibly converting Hindu girls to Islam, Mithu said the claims were false and baseless. “For decades, non-Muslims from various parts of Sindh and Balochistan have been coming to my Dargah to embrace Islam. How can we stop them or turn them away?”
He suggested that a group comprising civil society members from both Hindu and Muslim communities, media persons and parliamentarians should visit Ghotki and meet people who have been converted to Islam.
Mithu also criticised Maulana Fazlur Rehman for announcing his October 27 Islamabad lockdown, saying that Rehman’s party should avoid using the “Islam card” in politics and bringing madrasa students to their sit-ins.
-
Protest Held Outside Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Home -
NASA Targets March 6 For Launch Of Crewed Mission Around Moon Following Successful Rocket Fueling Test -
Conan O'Brien Addresses Rob Reiner's Tragic Death After Explosive Clash At Christmas Bash -
Princess Eugenie, Beatrice's Major Plan With King Charles Revealed After Andrew Arrest -
Prince William Out Of Trouble As King Charles Faces Andrew Scandal Fallout -
Sir Paul McCartney Gets Honest About Whether He Broke Up The Beatles -
Brad Falchuk, Gwyneth Paltrow's Husband, Opens Up About Eric Dane's 'Famous Last Words' -
Sarah Ferguson Leaves Andrew 'furious' With Stunning Move: 'It's All-out War Now' -
Greenland Ice Sheet Acts Like ‘churning Molten Rock,’ Scientists Find -
Sydney Sweeney Pays Tribute To 'Euphoria' Co-star Eric Dane After His Death: 'Forever Will Love You' -
Kayla Nicole Reveals Surprising Reason Behind Separation From Travis Kelce -
Andrew Made Major Demand To King Charles Before Arrest -
Political Tensions Steal Spotlight At Berlin Film Festival Closing Ceremony -
King Charles In Hot Water After Andrew Arrest: ‘Step Down!’ -
Space-based Solar Power Could Push The World Beyond Net Zero: Here’s How -
Kate Walsh Remembers Her 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane Following His Death At 53