PHC grants bail to detained doctors
PESHAWAR: The Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Friday directed the government to release all the doctors and paramedical staffers detained under the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) Ordinance against surety bonds worth Rs50,000 each as well as written assurances of good conduct.
The detained doctors will also have to furnish an undertaking about resuming duties in their respective hospitals as well as provide two personal sureties before their release, according to the court order.
Police had resorted to tear gas shelling and launched a baton charge in the premises of the Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) in order to disperse doctors who had gathered there to protest against the Regional and District Health Authorities Act, 2019.
The high court on Friday also directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to probe the alleged torture of doctors in Peshawar. The director general of the FIA was directed to submit a detailed inquiry report to the PHC deputy registrar within 14 days. Earlier in the day, Additional Advocate General Qaiser Shah had told the court that on the day of the clashes, the district administration had imposed Section 144 within the hospital premises on the request of the Lady Reading Hospital administration.
The lawyers for the doctors, on the other hand, told the court that doctors and other staffers had only been gathering to devise their future course of action when the police cracked down.
PHC Chief Justice Waqar Ahmed Saith asked under which law the doctors had refused to provide treatment to patients. He remarked that the government’s attitude towards the issue had also been inappropriate.
The PHC chief justice also reminded the AG to produce a record of the destruction of public property during the incident.
“You did a grave injustice by torturing educated people,” he reprimanded the official. Earlier on Thursday, a two-member bench of the high court, comprising PHC Chief Justice Waqar Ahmad Seth and Justice Abdul Shakoor, had taken up two petitions for the release of the arrested doctors.
The bench had adjourned the hearing after the provincial government and doctors could not reach any agreed terms for the release of the detained persons. The bench had given some time to the government and the lawyers for the doctors to try to resolve the issue through negotiations.
Later in the day, KP Advocate General Shumail Ahmad Butt had informed the court that the government was ready for the conditional release of the detainees if they made a commitment to not to force health professionals, including doctors and paramedics, to observe strikes in public health facilities.
He had said that the detainees should give assurances that they will not protest during duty hours and would join their duties immediately.
Doctors across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have been protesting for the past 10 days against the Regional and District Health Authorities Act, 2019 — which was passed by the provincial assembly on September 27 — which they describe as “nothing short of privatisation of government hospitals”. According to the doctors, they had not been consulted by authorities in the drafting of the bill.
Following the clashes, the Grand Health Alliance (GHA) had announced that it would shut down outpatient clinics in hospitals all over the province for an indefinite period of time, and emergency wards as a next step.
-
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens