LAVER CUP TENNIS: Federer says Nadal raring to go
GENEVA: Roger Federer would not have blamed Rafael Nadal for needing a break in the immediate aftermath of winning his 19th Grand Slam title at the US Open but insists his great rival ‘couldn’t be more pumped up’ for the Laver Cup tennis tournament.
Federer and Nadal will once again look to spearhead Team Europe’s charge against Team World, with Alexander Zverev, Dominic Thiem, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Fabio Fognini also on Bjorn Borg’s roster.
It is widely expected the Europeans will bag a third straight win, having previously claimed titles in Prague and Chicago in the exhibition event that has now rather curiously been made a semi-official part of the ATP Tour, with a significantly stronger squad on paper.
John McEnroe’s Team World have just one player ranked in the top-20 (John Isner, #20). By contrast, all of Team Europe’s squad are inside the top-11. Europe would still have been the favourites even without Nadal, who has won two majors in a fruitful 2019, and given his injury problems in the back-end of a season in recent times, few, including Federer, would have blamed him for ducking out.
But according to 20-time Slam champion Federer, the world No 2 is heavily motivated to secure another win for Borg’s side.
“He couldn’t be more pumped up for this event,” Federer said. “He just won the US Open. It would have been so easy for him to say, ‘Look, I need a break.’ But he said, ‘No, my break’s coming afterwards. I push it all aside, and I’m doing this because I really believe in the concept of the Laver Cup. And I believe in you guys.’”
Nadal and Federer last teamed up at the 2017 Laver Cup in Prague and tennis fans will no doubt be hoping to see a reprise of the “Fedal” doubles partnership in Geneva. The pair practised together against Zverev and Fognini on Wednesday, suggesting they will share the same side of the court once again. The competition begins on Friday (today).
-
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song? -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest -
Hilary Duff Finally Addresses Ashley Tisdale's 'toxic Mom Group' Essay -
Ryan Coogler Explains Why His Latest Project 'Sinners' Is So Close To His Heart -
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's Longtime Friend Shares True Feelings Of Royal Couple On Andrew Arrest -
Who Is Punch? Here’s Everything To Know About The Viral Sensation Winning Over Internet -
Andrew's 'mental Health' Concerns Comment Sparks Outrage On Social Media