close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
AFP
June 14, 2019

Wood a doubt for Windies clash

Top Story

AFP
June 14, 2019

SOUTHAMPTON: England fast bowler Mark Wood could miss the World Cup match against the West Indies in Southampton on Friday following a recurrence of his longstanding ankle problems.

Wood suffered discomfort in his left ankle after England’s win over Bangladesh in Cardiff on Saturday, when the Durham quick recorded the fastest delivery of the tournament so far at 95.6 mph (153.9 kmh).

The 29-year-old, who revived his England career with some fiery spells during this year’s tour of the West Indies, has undergone three major operations on his ankle. He experienced further problems on the eve of the World Cup, pulling out of a warm-up game against Australia.

England captain Eoin Morgan said Wood’s latest injury problem did not mean he was facing the end of his World Cup.“It’s nothing too serious, he just pulled up a little bit sore from the game in Cardiff — he’s the only concern at the moment,” Morgan said on Thursday. Wood’s place could go to Moeen Ali, should England again decide to play a second specialist spinner alongside leg-break bowler Adil Rashid.

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus