Caretaker boxing chief ‘confident’ over IOC’s Tokyo verdict
LAUSANNE: Caretaker boxing chief Mohamed Moustahsane says he’s confident the troubled AIBA will get the green light to run the sport at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
The International Olympic Committee is due to deliver its verdict on whether to allow amateur boxing’s world body to organise the Olympic competition on May 22. The IOC has frozen boxing’s preparations for next year’s Games as it seeks proof that the AIBA has cleaned up its act sufficiently after allegations of bout-fixing at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
The inquiry also covers AIBA governance and its anti-doping programme. If the AIBA’s Olympic suspension is maintained the IOC has said it will step in to ensure the sport appears in Tokyo.
But Moustahsane is optimistic the IOC’s inquiry will come to a favourable conclusion for the organisation he took temporary command of at the end of last month. "We answered all their questions, we are confident," the 40-year-old Moroccan physician who has served as ringside doctor told AFP on Friday.
"We remain available to reply to any questions to be sure that there are no suspicions or black marks hanging over our federation." A negative ruling on May 22 will deprive the AIBA, which recently admitted to a $16 million (14.2 million euros) debt, of the IOC’s significant financial clout.
"I would not say it would put us in danger," said Moustahsane. "The AIBA is now in good financial health, we’ve made enormous progress." Moustahsane was elected interim AIBA boss in place of controversial Uzbek businessman Gafur Rakhimov.
The removal of Rakhimov was deemed by the IOC as an essential first step towards the AIBA’s rehabilitation into a federation the Olympic rulers could do business with. "We are doing everything to ensure we are there (in Tokyo), and above all to develop our sport," added Moustahsane, who is also head of the African Boxing Confederation.
-
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again