Afghanistan slaps travel ban on football chiefs
KABUL: Afghanistan’s attorney general slapped a travel ban on five top football officials Friday, hours after graphic details emerged of alleged sexual and physical abuse against members of the women’s national team.
One player told Britain’s Guardian newspaper that Afghanistan Football Federation (AFF) president Keramuddin Karim had lured her into a secret bedroom near his office where he allegedly pointed a gun at her after hitting her in the face and raping her.
“When I woke up, all my clothes were gone and there was blood everywhere,” the player told the newspaper on the condition of anonymity.“The bed was covered in blood, blood was coming from my mouth, nose and vagina.”
Another player alleged Karim threatened to cut out her tongue after she managed to escape his unwanted sexual advances.AFP’s calls to AFF spokesman Shafi Shadab on Friday went unanswered.
The attorney general has placed five officials, including Karim, on a “no-flying list and banned them from travelling out following the accusation on abusing the female players of the AFF”, attorney general spokesman Jamshid Rasooli said in a statement on Twitter.
Earlier this month, the attorney general suspended the five men to facilitate an investigation into the case that was first reported in the Guardian in November.
Football’s world governing body FIFA also suspended Karim for 90 days over the allegations.The newspaper previously cited what it described as senior figures associated with the women’s team who said the abuse had taken place in Afghanistan, including at the AFF headquarters, and at a training camp in Jordan last February. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani had ordered the attorney general to conduct a “thorough investigation” into what he called “shocking” claims of abuse by male officials against members of the women’s team. Afghanistan has made strides to promote female football. As well as the national side, four years ago it launched its first all-women’s league that ran in parallel with the men’s. But the female teams were sidelined in 2017 by a lack of funding.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years