Sindh govt did nothing in Thar: CJP
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Tuesday expressed dissatisfaction over the report submitted by the Sindh health secretary on children’s deaths due to malnutrition in Tharparkar and observed that the performance of the provincial government was zero in addressing the issue.
A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Saqib Nisar was hearing a suo motu case regarding the death of 400 children in Thar. He asked why the issue of malnutrition in the district had not been solved yet.
The additional advocate general said a report had been submitted before the court. The chief justice, however, remarked that the court needed solid solution for addressing the chronic issue, not reports.
The chief justice said he could not tolerate the death of the innocent people and children due to malnutrition in the province.
The provincial health secretary submitted that during the current year, some 486 children, mostly in the Mithi area, had died so far due to malnutrition.
The chief justice observed that there was complete lack of adequate health facilities in Mithi and added, “Since how long people and children are dying and what is the real issue? Nobody tells the truth.”
“Some are dying due to malnutrition, some are dying due to absence of health facilities and cure,” the chief justice remarked. He questioned as to who is responsible for provision of clean drinking water, food and shelter and better health facilities, adding that as per report, everything was fine but the performance of the provincial government was zero.
During the hearing, minorities MNA Ramesh Kumar, who was earlier called by the court to inform the exact situation in Tharparkar, submitted that corruption was rampant in the district while land was being encroached for coal.
He further told the court that the assembly members too had their names in lists of people deserving food aid. The MNA said the coal power project was not functional despite inauguration.
Meanwhile, the court expressed dissatisfaction over the provincial government’s report and directed the chief secretary to draft a relevant policy and provide food and water in Tharparkar on an emergency basis.
The court also sought proposals for addressing the issue in Thar on emergency basis, to which the additional advocate general proposed constitution of a team of doctors as well as audit of hospitals in Thar.
The court summoned the advocate general and provincial health, finance and education secretaries on the next date of hearing and adjourned the matter till October 11.
-
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song?