Sindh govt’s performance in Thar is zero: CJP
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Tuesday expressed dissatisfaction over the report submitted by the Sindh health secretary on children’s deaths due to malnutrition in Tharparkar and observed that the performance of the provincial government was zero in addressing the issue.
A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Saqib Nisar, was hearing a suo motu case regarding the death of 400 children in Thar. He asked why the issue of malnutrition in the district had not been solved yet.
The additional advocate general said a report had been submitted before the court. The chief justice, however, remarked that the court needed solid solution for addressing the chronic issue, not reports.
The chief justice said he could not tolerate the death of innocent people and children due to malnutrition in the province. The provincial health secretary submitted that during the current year, some 486 children, mostly in the Mithi area, had died so far due to malnutrition.
The chief justice observed that there was complete lack of adequate health facilities in Mithi and added, “Since how long people and children are dying and what is the real issue? Nobody tells the truth.”
“Some are dying due to malnutrition, some are dying due to absence of health facilities and cure,” the chief justice remarked. He questioned as to who was responsible for provision of clean drinking water, food and shelter and better health facilities, adding that as per reports, everything was fine but the performance of the provincial government was zero.
During the hearing, minorities MNA Ramesh Kumar, who was earlier called by the court to inform the exact situation in Tharparkar, submitted that corruption was rampant in the district while land was being encroached for coal.
He further told the court that the assembly members too had their names in lists of people who needed food aid. The MNA said the coal power project was not functional despite its inauguration.
Meanwhile, the court expressed dissatisfaction over the provincial government’s report and directed the chief secretary to draft a relevant policy and provide food and water in Tharparkar on an emergency basis.
The court also sought proposals for addressing the issue in Thar on emergency basis, to which the additional advocate general proposed the constitution of a team of doctors as well as audit of hospitals in Thar.
The court summoned the advocate general and provincial health, finance and education secretaries on the next date of hearing and adjourned the matter till October 11.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final