Kazakh steps up to challenge for world boxing presidency
LAUSANNE: Former Olympic silver medallist Serik Konakbayev, from Kazakhstan, plans to challenge the Uzbek incumbent Gafur Rakhimov for the presidency of the International Boxing Federation (AIBA), AFP learned on Friday.
The Kazakhstan boxing federation announced Konakbayev’s candidacy in a letter sent to the federations that make up AIBA which has been seen by AFP.Konakbayev won silver in the light welterweight class in Moscow in 1980, representing the former Soviet Union.
“As president of the Asian Boxing Confederation, Serik Konakbayev has established himself as an experienced leader,” said the letter.Konakbayev has been a member of AIBA’s executive committee since 2010 and a vice-president since 2014. He was also a member of the Kazakh parliament for 12 years.
The election will take place at the AIBA congress in Moscow on November 2-3.The sport faces the real prospect of being knocked out of Tokyo 2020 by the International Olympic Committee.
The IOC has been losing patience with boxing since a judging scandal at the 2016 Rio Games when all 36 officials and referees were suspended while allegations of bout-fixing were investigated.
The IOC has suspended financial aid to AIBA because of “concerns over a number of key issues, such as governance, ethics and financial management”.An internal power struggle saw Taiwanese president CK Wu ousted and earlier this year Rakhimov was installed as interim president.
-
Alexandra Daddario, Andrew Form Part Ways After 3 Years Of Marriage -
Eric Dane Rejected Sex Symbol Label -
Avan Jogia Says Life With Fiancee Halsey Feels Like 'coming Home' -
Kate Middleton's Role In Handling Prince William And Harry Feud Revealed -
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff