Lee out of World Badminton, Asian Games
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian badminton star Lee Chong Wei has pulled out of the World Badminton Championships and Asian Games because of a respiratory illness, officials said Wednesday, after a gruelling schedule in recent months.
The world number two has been advised to rest and undergo treatment after competing in nine tournaments so far this year.
The week-long World Championships in Nanjing, China, begin on Monday while the Asian Games in Indonesia are from August 18 to September 2.
“(Lee) is unwell and suffering from a respiratory related disorder,” the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) said in a statement.
“For the time being, he cannot undergo any intensive physical activity for a period of at least one month and therefore we have to withdraw Lee from his participation at the BWF World Championships... and the Asian Games.”
BAM did not give any further details about the three-time Olympic silver medallist’s illness.
Speculation had been mounting over the past week about the 35-year-old’s health after he failed to show up for training.
The development is a blow for the former world number one, who has never won gold at either the World Championships or the Asian Games during a stellar 17-year career.
His achievements this year include winning the men´s singles gold at the Commonwealth Games and clinching his 12th Malaysian Open title.
BAM president Norza Zakaria said he had met Lee and supports his decision to rest.
“We do not want the pressure of competition to impose a toll on his health. We look forward to his return to competition, he said.
-
Savannah Guthrie Gets Emotional As Exciting News Shared With Her -
Elon Musk Mocks Claude Mythos With A Chimp Video, Here's Why -
Pep Guardiola Leaves Manchester City After Historic 10-year Era, Tributes Pour In -
King Charles Assigns Major Role To Prince Edward, Duchess Sophie Amid Meghan Markle's Efforts -
Prince Harry’s Fears About Queen Camilla Come To Light: ‘She’s Poisoning Charles’ Head’ -
Workday Shares Soar As AI Demand Mitigates Investor Concerns -
Use AI Or Lose Your Job, Warns Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang -
Anne Hathaway Shares Hilarious Reality Of Raising Two Boys -
Meta Launches Forum App To Challenge Reddit With Facebook Community Push -
Jessie J Gives Heart-warming Health Update: ‘cancer-free’ -
Matt Damon Gushes Over Charlize Theron’s Beauty: ‘genetic Lottery’ -
Karen Spencer Breaks Silence After Ex-husband Charles Spencer Fourth Marriage -
UK City Releases Letter Against Ex Prince Andrew: ‘A Profound Disappointment!’ -
Queen Camilla Turns Single Minded: ‘It’s A Personal Mission To Erase Harry, Meghan From Royal Life Entirely’ -
Phil Collins Reveals Fate Of Career Amid Dire Health Issues -
Abbey Romeo Reveals Where She Stands With David Isaacman After Shocking Split