Roshan Khan Squash Open postponed
KARACHI: The $20,000 Parco Roshan Khan International Squash Open has been postponed because of lack of sponsorship.
The tournament sanctioned by Professional Squash Association (PSA) for men was to be held in Karachi from August 4-8. However, the main sponsor of the event, PARCO, backed out and it has been postponed for a few months. This was confirmed to ‘The News’ by PSA’s tour assistant Ju Dutton.
“The Roshan Khan Championship has been postponed due to sponsorship issues. Negotiations are underway with a new set of sponsors and we are optimistic of being able to put on a top-class tournament in the near future,” said Ju in communication with this scribe.
One of the organisers here said that they were trying to persuade the sponsor to hold this event in the coming months. “PARCO is to take the approval of this sponsorship from its board,” he said. “We would hold this event soon, preferably in December,” said Rashid Ahmed.
The event has been organised since 2008, with active support of Pakistan Navy. In July last year, Parco Roshan Khan Championship had been confined to national level due to PSA restrictions.
Meanwhile, some high-prized events are to be held in Karachi in the near future. The $20,000 DHA Cup is scheduled from October 15-20 and the $18,000 CNS International from December 6-10.
PSA has conditionally allowed events with foreign participation for Karachi. It had been allowing tournaments only for Islamabad for security reasons. PSA in its Players Update in June stated that tournaments in Pakistan “have been extensively discussed among the PSA Board, as the Pakistan Squash Federation (PSF) wants to host many events every year.
“However, for security reasons, PSA is allowing tournaments to be held only if approved by the Sports Risk (the security firm that the PSA is working with). This requires Sports Risk to travel and assess each venue before a tournament,” stated PSA.
-
Prince William, Kate Middleton ‘carrying Weight’ Of Reputation In Epstein Scandal -
Timothée Chalamet Compares 'Dune: Part Three' With Iconic Films 'Interstellar', 'The Dark Knight' & 'Apocalypse Now' -
Little Mix Star Leigh-Anne Pinnock Talks About Protecting Her Children From Social Media -
Ghislaine Maxwell Is ‘fall Guy’ For Jeffrey Epstein, Claims Brother -
Timothee Chalamet Rejects Fame Linked To Kardashian Reality TV World While Dating Kylie Jenner -
Sarah Chalke Recalls Backlash To 'Roseanne' Casting -
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe