British boxer Haye announces retirement
LONDON: Britain’s former world heavyweight and cruiserweight champion David Haye announced his retirement on Tuesday following two successive defeats to fellow Englishman Tony Bellew.
The 37-year-old — who won 28 of his 32 bouts including 26 knock outs — unified the cruiserweight world division then was crowned world heavyweight champion in defeating the ‘Beast from The East’ Russia’s Nikolay Valuev in 2009. However, Ukrainian great Wladimir Klitschko took the WBA belt off him — after Haye had successfully defended the title twice -- in July 2011. Haye implied he was retiring after that defeat and on several occasions prior to that had pledged to leave the sport before he was 31 declaring ‘That’ll be 20 years of getting punched in the face, which is a long enough time.’
Nevertheless, he kept on hoping for a title fight with Klitschko’s brother, WBC champion Vitali, but ruined any hope of one with his set-to with Dereck Chisora at the press conference after the latter had lost to the Ukrainian in 2012. His career never reached the heights again and two resounding defeats by Bellew — the second one coming last month — convinced him it is time to hang up his gloves. “I announce my retirement from professional boxing,” said Haye in a statement.
“They say you can’t play boxing. Yet, as I write this retirement statement, and reflect on my time in the sport, I can’t find a better way to describe the ride.” Haye — known as ‘The Hayemaker’ — said his career had been one of two halves. “In the first eight years, everything ran smoothly,” said Haye, who never really captured the British public’s imagination like Frank Bruno or Lennox Lewis did.
“I had 25 fights and became the first ever British boxer to unify the cruiserweight division (WBA, WBC and WBO World Championships). “I then achieved my childhood dream when I beat WBA Heavyweight Champion of the World Nikolay Valuev, the seven-foot-two, 150-kilogram ‘Beast from the East’, in a real life ‘David and Goliath’ match.”
-
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again