Neelum-Jhelum project to take months to be fully operational
ISLAMABAD: In a shocking development, the Rs503 billion Neelum-Jhelum Hydropower Project will not be able to run on its full capacity to generate 969 MW in coming three to four months as unit-4 of 242 MW has virtually been dismantled to pull out the rotor that was badly damaged.
This unit was first made operational at the time of project’s inauguration on April 13 by Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi and since then, it has been non-functional.
The unit was first made operational in violation of SoPs in a haste which is why its rotor was badly damaged, a top official privy to the development told The News.
Now, the top management of the project say Unit-4 will take 3-4 months to come on stream meaning by that the project will not be fully functional in this summer season, as after four months, the winter season would set in and the water flows will be reduced by that time which is why the hydro generation of 969 MW will not be achieved till next summer season, the officials argued.
The sources at the site of the project said that John Gummer, world known personality who had already extended his services in Tarbela power plants, lost his temper when he was called on the site of the unit-4. He concluded that SOPs for running the unit were not adhered to as at the outset, hydropower unit is run after every15 minutes pause and after certain time the unit is made operational gradually.
Senior official while quoting John Gummer said that SOPs were violated while running the unit-4 by the top management of Neelum-Jhelum Hydropower Company Limited as it was in a haste and wanted to make it operational at inauguration time.
Now the Chinese experts’ team has arrived from Herbin city of China which is adjacent to Russia wherein the area receives the snowfall even in the month of June. Herbin city is known for manufacturing the hydropower plants and other heavy machinery.
The News sent a questionnaire on Friday last to this effect Lt Gen (R) Muzammil Hussain, Wapda Chairman, and Brig (R) Muhammad Zareen, CEO of NJHPCL asking if the unit-4 has been dismantled to pull out the damaged rotor from lower part of the plan and when it will come on stream, both did read the question which is shown by the Whatsapp sign that turned into blue, but they did not respond.
They did not even pick up the calls when The News tried time and again to make contact. However, later on, Wapda spokesman issued a press release mentioning that unit-4 will take 3-4 months to come on stream. Right now, the official said, the project is injecting in the system 242 MW for the last two days by running the unit-1.
-
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song?