PHC stays execution of man convicted by military court
PESHAWAR: A Peshawar High Court (PHC) bench on Wednesday suspended the execution of a man convicted by a military court for launching an attack against the personnel of the law-enforcement agencies in which a havaldar and three other soldiers were killed.
Justice Qalandar Ali Khan and Justice Ishtiaq Ibrahim issued notice to the Ministry of Defence and asked it to produce the record of the case of convict Hazrat Ali, whose father had challenged the conviction. The court fixed April 18 for the next hearing in the case.
On April 2, 2018, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) had announced the award of death sentences to 10 terrorists, including Hazrat Ali, by a military court. The army chief had later confirmed the sentences.
As per the statement of ISPR, the convict Hazrat Ali, son of Muhammad Ali, was a member of a proscribed organisation. “The convict was involved in attacking law-enforcement agencies, which resulted in the death of Havaldar Wahab Ali and three other soldiers.
The convict confessed to his offence before the judicial magistrate and the trial court. He was awarded death sentence,” the ISPR had stated.
During hearing, Barrister Ali Gohar, the petitioner’s lawyer, submitted that the convict is a resident of Waziristan and was picked up by the security forces in 2009 at the age 18 years.
He told the court that Hazrat Ali had been missing since 2009 and after nine years his family members came to know through media reports that he had been awarded death sentence by a military court.
The lawyer argued that the convict went missing in 2009, but was convicted on the basis of allegations concerning the year 2014-15. He said this clearly showed that the accused was innocent and has been implicated and sentenced in false cases.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final