Mon August 20, 2018
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Sports

REUTERS
February 10, 2018

Share

Advertisement

Coleman gets another chance at breaking ‘his’ record

BOSTON, Massachusetts: World silver medallist sprinter Christian Coleman gets another chance to break the 60 metres world record this weekend, a mark he believes already belongs to him.

“I do believe I am the record holder, and I think a lot of people do as well regardless of if it is official,” the 21-year-old American told Reuters in a telephone interview ahead of Saturday’s Boston Indoor Grand Prix.

Coleman opened his season with an astonishing 6.37-second dash in the 60m at a meeting in Clemson, South Carolina last month, crossing the line 0.02 seconds quicker than countryman Maurice Greene’s 20-year-old world record mark.

However, the performance is not likely to ratified as a new global record because electronic starting blocks were not used.The blocks, which measure false starts, are required for record-recognition purposes, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) says.

The global governing body is now waiting for USA Track & Field (USATF) to decide whether to submit the mark for possible ratification.“It will still be my PR (personal record) and nobody else has a faster PR,” Coleman said. “In my opinion it is a world record.”

Despite his claim, Coleman does not expect the performance to be approved.“I am thinking it is not because they didn’t have the exact specifications,” said Coleman.“I’m not too concerned about it,” he added.

Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement
Advertisement

Topstory

Opinion

Newspost

Editorial

National

World

Sports

Business

Karachi

Lahore

Islamabad

Peshawar