‘Knifeman’ in custody never came to Karachi, Senate body told
There is no evidence to prove the suspected knifeman arrested in Mandi Bahauddin ever came to Karachi, a senior Sindh police officer informed the Senate Functional Committee on Human Rights on Tuesday.
The body, which met at the new Sindh Secretariat building with Senator Nasreen Jalil in chair, expressed satisfaction on the progress made so far by the police in their attempt to solve the case of the mysterious knife attacks on female citizens in Gulistan-e-Jauhar and the adjoining localities.
‘He may be set free’
East Zone DIG Sultan Ali Khawaja told the committee that Waseem, the suspect arrested in Mandi Bahauddin for the Karachi knife attacks, could be freed owing to lack of any credible evidence against him that could tie him to the case.
He said that some 38 suspects were rounded up across Karachi, data of 200 mobile phone numbers had been checked and 15,000 phone calls were traced. He said that some 1,500 red motorcycles were registered in the names of people residing in the Gulistan-e-Jauhar area. “It is suspected that red-coloured motorcycle(s) have been used in the attacks.”
The officer said that unfortunately, there was no system of CCTV cameras for the purposes of electronic security and surveillance covering the entire city. He said the Mandi Bahauddin suspect had used 16 different SIMs and various mobile phones, as majority of the SIMs were registered in the names of the suspect’s relatives.
“None of these SIMs was used to make or receive any call from Karachi. In fact, no evidence has been found that suggests the suspect ever visited the metropolis.”
He said an SSP Investigation of the Sindh police had been in Sahiwal for the past 10 days, adding that Waseem would be set free if found innocent.
‘We know our duties’
Karachi police chief Addl IGP Mushtaq Mahar said the media had played up the incidents of knife attacks on female citizens in the city, while the Sindh police was completely aware of its responsibilities.
He said that some 30 to 40 people suffering from mental disorders were interrogated in connection with the knife attacks, adding that the police had brought peace back in the city and they were probing the knife attack incidents from different angles to solve the case.
-
Detective Chief Inspector Reveals How Andrew Got Treated In Police Custody -
Gemini 3.1 Pro Unveiled: Google’s Next-gen AI For Advanced Reasoning & Faster Enterprise Workflows -
Oprah Winfrey Talks About Weight-loss 'tool To Manage' Health -
Texas Emerges As World's Future Data Center Capital -
South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Issues Public Apology After Being Sentenced To Life Over Martial Law -
Eric Dane Recorded Episodes For The Third Season Of 'Euphoria' Before His Death From ALS Complications -
Inside Morning Of Andrew’s Arrest And How He Responded: ‘Do You Know Who I Am?’ -
OpenAI Sam Altman Predicts AI Superintelligence By 2028: Is Humanity Ready For A Turning Point? -
WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History To Ease Group Chats -
Tesla Expands Cybertruck Lineup With Affordable Model In US, Slashes Cyberbeast Price To Boost Demand -
AI Is Not As Powerful As We Think, Says Mathematician Hannah Fry -
How Andrew's Feeling Since His Arrest & Subsequent Release Amid Tech & Computers Seize -
Trump Officially Directs US Agencies To Identify And Release Files On Extraterrestrial Life -
2026 Winter Olympics: Alysa Liu Claims Gold, Snapping 20-year Drought For US Figure Skating -
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Marriage Fears Despite Strong Bond With Matthew Koma -
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Breathes His Last At 53