SHC sets Nov 16 to hear plea for banning both MQM factions
The Sindh High Court fixed November 16 to hear the application seeking ban on Muttahida Quami Movement (Pakistan and London) alleging that members of both parties are involved in serious crimes with respect to sovereignty, integrity and security of Pakistan.
Petitioner Moulvi Iqbal Haider submitted that his petition seeking ban on the parties and disqualification of its legislators over an anti-state speech delivered by the party’s founder, Altaf Hussain, at a hunger strike camp on August 22, last year, be heard on an urgent basis.
He maintained that MQM members should be prohibited from using the party’s name in politics or publication in any manner as it should be banned forthwith.
Haider had earlier submitted in his petition that MQM MNAs and MPAs heard the anti-state speech, adding, that MQM legislators had neither agitated nor raised any slogans against the party’s founder, but disassociated themselves from the speech for the sake of saving their own skin.
The petitioner maintained that the Federation of Pakistan was duty bound to issue a notification to ban the MQM in terms of articles 5, 5 and 17(2) of the constitution as its legislators got votes on the party’s symbol (kite) and in the name of Hussain, who nominated them to contest Senate and national and provincial assembly elections.
He said that after the vitriolic speech, all MQM parliamentarians had no right to stay in office and are required to be prosecuted in terms of 11-F of the Anti- Terrorism Act read with Article 6 of the constitution.
Criticising the federal and provincial governments’ lack of action over the matter, the petitioner stated that the law did not permit them to remain silent.
Citing Supreme Court’s judgement in the Abdul Wali Khan case, the petitioner submitted that it was a required as per law that MQM and its elected members of parliament are disqualified and their seats declared vacant by the election commission after taking necessary action.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years