English football shake-up plans abandoned
LONDON: Plans for the biggest shake-up in English football since the introduction of the Premier League have been abandoned after talks between the main participants broke down.
The Football League (EFL) proposed a raft of changes called the Whole Game Solution, including a five-division league - one more than present - with 20 teams in each, and a winter break.
But discussions with the Football Association (FA), the English game’s governing body, foundered on a proposal to move FA Cup games to midweek from their traditional weekend slots, the EFL said in a statement on Wednesday.
“If the weekend slots are not available (for league games), then there is simply no way we can meet the financial conditions as outlined at the very outset,” said EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey.
Earlier this month, the FA announced a new six-year international broadcasting deal for the FA Cup, with British media reports putting its value at about 820 million pounds ($1.02 billion).
This made the competition too lucrative to tinker with, from the FA’s point of view, and it refused to agree a new calendar for the changes which would have been introduced for the 2019-20 season.
“The stance the FA has adopted has brought the discussions to a premature end before fully understanding what the financial outcome from the creation of a new distribution model could be,” added Harvey.
The EFL believes change is necessary to ease fixture congestion, make weekend games more special and help supporters by cutting down midweek travel.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years