Polish prosecutors probe chief justice
WARSAW: Polish prosecutors on Thursday said they launched a probe against the chief justice of the constitutional court, who has been locked in conflict with the governing conservatives for months.
Judge Andrzej Rzeplinski is being investigated for "negligence or abuse of power", the spokesman for the prosecutor’s office, Ireneusz Kunert, said, quoted by local media.
The charges carry a maximum prison sentence of three years behind bars.
Poland’s top court has been in crisis since late last year, when the right-wing Law and Justice (PiS) party swept to power and immediately pushed through legislation that critics say paralysed the constitutional court.
The controversial measures have triggered mass street protests and prompted the European Commission to give Warsaw until the end of October to reverse what it termed a "systematic threat" to the rule of law or face sanctions. Kunert said prosecutors launched the probe after receiving an abuse of power complaint against Rzeplinski, but did not identify the person in question.
"It’s an attempt... to interfere in the independence and distinct character of judicial power," Rzeplinski said of the investigation, quoted by the Polish news agency PAP.
Last week the constitutional court struck down most of the sections of a new law adopted by the PiS government defining how the court works.
On Tuesday, the government published 21 constitutional court rulings, thus giving them force of law. It however declined to publish two rulings on the court itself. A European Commission spokeswoman said "we take note of the publication... of a number of the judgements" but added that "our concerns remain".
Brussels had in late July handed Poland’s government the three-month deadline to reverse changes to the top court or face sanctions for breaching EU norms on the rule of law and democracy.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years