Nadal baffled by tennis no shows at Olympics
PARIS: Rafael Nadal knows only too well what it’s like to miss out on playing at the Olympics, hence he does not understand why so many of his fellow tennis professionals are turning their backs on the Rio Games in August.
When injury forced the 2008 Beijing gold medallist to withdraw from the 2012 London Games, he described it as “one of the saddest moments of my career”.
As a result he finds it baffling that players such as American John Isner, Australian Bernard Tomic, rising Austrian Dominic Thiem, and fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez have chosen to be absent.
“The experience of competing in an Olympic Games is completely different than any other event.
The Olympics is the most important event in the world of sport,” the nine-times French Open champion said on Thursday.
“If you don’t want to be in the most important event in the world of sport, then is difficult to understand what’s the motivation for the rest of the things.”
Isner blamed his decision on a crammed tennis calendar, with the U.S. Open taking place shortly after the Rio Games and the Davis Cup quarter-finals just after Wimbledon.
But the lack of ranking points at this year’s Olympics was also a major factor for the American.
World number one Novak Djokovic had some sympathy for players such as Isner and thought ranking points should have been awarded in Rio like they had been in London — where up to 750 points were on offer.
But points or no points, Nadal thought those who choose to skip the Games will end up regretting their decisions.
“Everybody’s free to do whatever but I know how tough it was for me when I had to miss the 2012 Olympics in London,” added Nadal, the only active men’s player who has won every major singles title tennis has to offer.
“I cannot understand people who don’t want to go to Olympics. It’s something that is not every year. It’s an event that you can compete only once, twice, or maybe three times in your career, if you are lucky. “So you don’t want to miss that.”
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years