Organisation stripped of boxing claims gender-row fighters ‘are male’
PARIS: The International Boxing Association (IBA) claimed Monday at a chaotic press conference that tests on two boxers at the centre of a gender controversy at the Paris Olympics show they “are male”.
The IBA said previously that it disqualified Algeria’s Imane Khelif and Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting from its 2023 world championships after the fighters failed gender eligibility tests, without specifying what the tests were.
The boxing in the French capital is run by the International Olympic Committee because of financial, governance and ethical concerns at the IBA. The IOC cleared the two boxers to fight and both are in the semi-finals and therefore guaranteed a medal.
The two organisations have been in open dispute. An IBA press conference in Paris was designed to clarify what tests Khelif and Lin underwent last year, and what the results showed.
IBA officials including Kremlin-linked Russian oligarch Umar Kremlev, the organisation’s president, who was on a remote video call, gave a series of contradictory statements to a room packed full of reporters.
The officials said they were also constrained by medical confidentiality. What was clear was when Ioannis Filippatos, former chairman of the IBA’s medical committee, said “abnormalities” were detected in blood tests in 2022. The two boxers were tested again in 2023 to confirm the initial findings, IBA officials said, and after that they were disqualified.
“The medical result, blood result, looks -- and the laboratory says -- that these boxers are male,” said Filippatos. “The problem is that we have two blood exams with karyotype of male. This is the answer from the laboratory.”
A karyotype is an individual’s complete set of chromosomes, according to the National Human Genome Research Institute in the United States. It can also be a laboratory-produced image used to look for abnormalities in chromosome number or structure.
IOC president Thomas Bach and high-level officials from Algeria and Taiwan have strenuously defended Khelif and Lin, saying they were born and raised as women, and have passports saying that. The Olympic body, which has effectively expelled the IBA from the Olympic movement, has accused the IBA of making “an arbitrary decision” over disqualifying the duo in 2023.
-
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession