Two Nanga Parbat massacre suspects flee Gilgit jail
Two others killed in encounter; IG Prisons suspended
By our correspondents
February 28, 2015
ISLAMABAD: Two militant suspects facing trial for the massacre of 10 foreign climbers two years ago escaped from jail on Friday, an official said.
Subsequently, the IG Prisons has been suspended.The 2013 killing of the climbers and their local guide in a predawn attack on their base camp on Nanga Parbat, the ninth highest mountain in the world, dealt a severe blow to Pakistan’s mountaineering tourism industry.
Two other prisoners were shot and killed in the jailbreak in northern Gilgit agency early on Friday morning, said Sultan Faisal, the prison’s deputy inspector general.The four had dug a tunnel from their barracks to the wall of the prison, another jail official said on condition of anonymity.
The two who escaped were among about a dozen suspected Lashkar-e-Jhangvi militants jailed while on trial for the Nanga Parbat massacre, Faisal said adding that two jail officials had been suspended pending an investigation.
Victims of the mountain assault included climbers from China, Lithuania, Nepal, Slovakia, Ukraine and one person with joint US-Chinese citizenship. One Chinese climber escaped.The Pakistani Taliban originally claimed responsibility for the slaughter by gunmen dressed as police officers.
The once-peaceful areas of northern Pakistan where the Himalayan, Karakoram and Hindu Kush mountain ranges meet have been increasingly infiltrated by militants seeking to gain footholds beyond their traditional hideouts on Pakistan’s porous border with Afghanistan. — Agencies
Our correspondent adds from Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Friday expressed his anger over the escape of two terrorists from the Gilgit jail. Reprimanding the G-B government over the security lapse, he directed to fix responsibility in this important matter as the escaping terrorists were involved in the murder of foreign tourists. He asked to bring the culprits to book. He questioned if lack of security personnel was a cause, then why the G-B administration did not contact the federal government for appropriate reinforcements in time.
Subsequently, the IG Prisons has been suspended.The 2013 killing of the climbers and their local guide in a predawn attack on their base camp on Nanga Parbat, the ninth highest mountain in the world, dealt a severe blow to Pakistan’s mountaineering tourism industry.
Two other prisoners were shot and killed in the jailbreak in northern Gilgit agency early on Friday morning, said Sultan Faisal, the prison’s deputy inspector general.The four had dug a tunnel from their barracks to the wall of the prison, another jail official said on condition of anonymity.
The two who escaped were among about a dozen suspected Lashkar-e-Jhangvi militants jailed while on trial for the Nanga Parbat massacre, Faisal said adding that two jail officials had been suspended pending an investigation.
Victims of the mountain assault included climbers from China, Lithuania, Nepal, Slovakia, Ukraine and one person with joint US-Chinese citizenship. One Chinese climber escaped.The Pakistani Taliban originally claimed responsibility for the slaughter by gunmen dressed as police officers.
The once-peaceful areas of northern Pakistan where the Himalayan, Karakoram and Hindu Kush mountain ranges meet have been increasingly infiltrated by militants seeking to gain footholds beyond their traditional hideouts on Pakistan’s porous border with Afghanistan. — Agencies
Our correspondent adds from Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Friday expressed his anger over the escape of two terrorists from the Gilgit jail. Reprimanding the G-B government over the security lapse, he directed to fix responsibility in this important matter as the escaping terrorists were involved in the murder of foreign tourists. He asked to bring the culprits to book. He questioned if lack of security personnel was a cause, then why the G-B administration did not contact the federal government for appropriate reinforcements in time.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years