Brazil great Falcao quits job after assault accusation
RIO DE JANEIRO: Retired Brazilian football legend Paulo Roberto Falcao has resigned from his job as sports coordinator at iconic club Santos after a woman accused him of sexually assaulting her, an allegation he denied.
The woman, a receptionist at the building where Falcao lives in Santos, said the former footballer, who played a starring role on Brazil´s 1982 World Cup team, had pressed his genitals against her arm on two occasions while she was at her desk, according to Brazilian media reports.
Falcao, 69, denied the accusation.
"Out of respect for Santos FC´s fans... I have decided to leave the position of sports coordinator, effective today," the former midfielder said Friday in a statement on social media.
"My intention, first and foremost, is to protect the image of the institution. As for the accusation made today, which I was shocked to learn of from the media, I affirm it never happened."
Santos, the former club of late Brazilian icon Pele, confirmed in a brief statement that Falcao had left the job, which he had held since November last year.
Police have reportedly opened an investigation of the case.
Falcao was nicknamed the "King of Rome" for his glittering career at Roma in the 1980s. FIFA included him on a list of the 125 greatest living footballers in 2004.
-
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession