Waqf property allotment case: Punjab ACE gives Nawaz clean chit, drops inquiry
LAHORE: An inquiry against former prime minister Nawaz Sharif pertaining to alleged illegal allotment of Waqf property attached to Baba Fariduddin Masud Ganj Shakar in Pakpattan has been dropped by the Anti-Corruption Establishment (ACE), Punjab, Sahiwal region, The News has learnt.
The Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PMLN) supremo has been given a clean chit by ACE Punjab, said the sources. The anti-corruption body did not find any involvement of Nawaz Sharif in the case and declared him innocent.
Sources in the ACE said that Nawaz Sharif’s name was included in the inquiry to victimise him politically. ACE Punjab Additional Director General (ADG) Waqasul Hasan made it clear that Nawaz Sharif had nothing to do with the case of alleged illegal allotment of the Waqf property. In 2019, Nawaz Sharif was interrogated by an ACE Punjab team in Kot Lakhpat prison regarding alleged illegal allotment of a property attached to the shrine of Baba Fariduddin Masud Ganj Shakar in Pakpattan.
After the Partition, Dewan Ghulam Qutab and his family used to be the owners of the shrine’s land as per the revenue record from 1947 to 1958. The family sold pieces of the land to different people until Jan 1, 1970, when the Punjab government notified the Auqaf Department as the rightful owner of the land and Dewans as the custodian of the shrine.
Later, Dewans moved the Lahore High Court, but the case was decided against them. In 1986, the government withdrew its 1970 notification and Dewans reciprocated by withdrawing their appeal before the Lahore High Court against the decision. With this, the Dewans resumed their land-selling business and the revenue department issued ownership rights (fard) to all buyers.
In the meantime, a 1981 case regarding 17-marla land was filed in a civil court, and it later reached the Supreme Court in 2015. The apex court chief justice took suo moto notice of the land deals of the shrine and summoned officials of the revenue and Auqaf departments and the Dewans. After some hearings, the SC declared the notification of Aug 28, 1986, illegal and nullified all land deals done since then. The decision reportedly affected 100,000 residents of different localities.
-
Sydney Sweeney Pays Tribute To 'Euphoria' Co-star Eric Dane After His Death: 'Forever Will Love You' -
Kayla Nicole Reveals Surprising Reason Behind Separation From Travis Kelce -
Andrew Made Major Demand To King Charles Before Arrest -
Political Tensions Steal Spotlight At Berlin Film Festival Closing Ceremony -
King Charles In Hot Water After Andrew Arrest: ‘Step Down!’ -
Space-based Solar Power Could Push The World Beyond Net Zero: Here’s How -
Kate Walsh Remembers Her 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane Following His Death At 53 -
AI Ad Wars Begin As Perplexity Snubs ChatGPT Advertising -
Microsoft Copilot Bug Exposes Confidential Emails To AI -
Eric Dane Final Emotional Words Revealed After Tragic Death -
Prince William 'furious' Regarding His Own Future After Andrew Arrest -
Charli XCX Reveals ‘confusing’ Toll ‘Brat’ Popularity Took On Her -
Android Phones At Risk: PromptSpy Malware Exploits AI -
Barry Manilow Gives Insight Into 'very Depressing' Doctor Visit As He Postpones 2026 Arena Tour Due To Cancer -
Margot Robbie Opens Up About Imposter Syndrome ‘crisis’ -
'Desperate' Sarah Ferguson Won't Go Down Without A Fight