Disqualification fears: Imran Khan decides not to contest by-elections on all 33 NA seats
Imran decided against contesting by-elections, set to take place on March 16, for all the 33 seats of the National Assembly
LAHORE: In yet another U-Turn, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan has decided against contesting by-elections, set to take place on March 16, for all the 33 seats of the National Assembly amid his widely anticipated disqualification in the Tyrian White case, sources told Geo News Friday.
The Islamabad High Court (IHC) has fixed February 9 for hearing a petition seeking disqualification of Khan for concealing his alleged daughter, White, in his nomination papers submitted to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) in 2018.
Earlier, Khan had decided to set another record by contesting the by-polls on 33 NA seats scheduled to be held on March 16. The seats fell vacant after the ECP de-notified the lawmakers following NA Speaker Raja Pervaiz Ashraf’s acceptance of the lawmakers’ resignations.
A day earlier, the PTI chairman withdrew his nomination papers for the by-poll in the NA-193 constituency.
According to sources privy to the matter, Khan has directed the party’s ex-lawmakers to file their nomination papers for the by-polls. He asked the former MNAs to launch election campaigns in their respective constituencies.
It is pertinent to mention here that the PTI resigned en masse in April last year after the ouster of Khan as the prime minister, but only 11 resignations were accepted in July. Later, as the party tried to stage a comeback to the house, the speaker began accepting the resignations — and in a couple of days, he accepted 113 more, including the 33.
The development comes after the party had announced that Khan would be contesting for the 33 seats and the party leaders, who were elected as MNAs from those constituencies, would be fielded as covering candidates.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years