Tired with the same menu every week? Be innovative and try this oh-so-yummy recipe of Egg Rollatini by Muhammad Naim, Executive Chef Avari Towers Karachi. Happy cooking!
Eggplants 4 medium-sized
Olive oil for brushing
Ricotta cheese 3 cups part skim
Feta cheese 1 cup crumbled
Shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided 1-1/2 cups
Grated parmesan, divided 1/2 cup
Garlic, minced 4 cloves
Eggs, beaten 2
Salt 1 tsp
Fresh ground pepper 1/2 tsp
Marinara sauce 1 jar (24 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare the eggplants.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; you should get about 16 slices total.
- Lay slices on a baking sheet; sprinkle salt on both sides and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Using paper towel, pat slices dry.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil and transfer back to the baking sheets in a single layer.
- Roast the eggplant slices for about 8 minutes; flip over and continue to roast for about 5 more minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from oven and let it cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the cheese filling.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ricotta, feta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/3 cup parmesan, garlic, eggs, salt and pepper; mix until well incorporated.
- Spread 1/2 cup of marinara sauce onto the bottom of the previously prepared baking dish.
- Divide ricotta mixture among eggplant slices, and spread it down the center of each slice.
- Roll up prepared eggplant slices and place them seam-side down in baking dish, over the marinara sauce.
- Use any leftover cheese mixture to spoon around the eggplant rollups.
- Top eggplant rollups with remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes.
Recipe Notes: Make ahead of time; store the prepared and completely cooled rollups in a plastic food storage container with an airtight lid, and place them in the freezer for upto two months.