Out this week
- Know by Jason Mraz: The singer’s sixth album; comes after 2014’s Yes!; includes the song ‘More Than Friends’ (featuring Meghan Trainor).
- Jake Shears by Jake Shears: Debut solo album by the Scissor Sisters singer; led by the single ‘Creep City’, and includes the songs ‘Sad Song Backwards’, ‘Everything I’ll Ever Need’, and ‘Palace in the Sky’.
- The Meg (starring Jason Statham, Li Bingbing, Rainn Wilson, Ruby Rose) – action, based on Steve Alten’s book Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror (1997); after escaping an attack by a massive shark, a diver (Statham) must confront his fears to save people trapped in a sunken underwater ship.
- Animal Crackers (with the voices of John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Lydia Rose Taylor, Ian McKellen, Danny DeVito, Sylvester Stallone) – animated comedy; a family must use a magical box of Animal Crackers to save a circus from being taken over by their evil uncle.
- BlacKkKlansman (starring John David Washington, Adam Driver, Laura Harrier, Topher Grace) – crime drama, based on Ron Stallworth’s autobiographical book Black Klansman; in 1970s Colorado, an African-American detective (Washington) sets out to expose the Ku Klux Klan.
- Dog Days (starring Eva Longoria, Nina Dobrev, Vanessa Hudgens) – comedy; a group of interconnected people in Los Angeles are brought together by their dogs.
- Camila Mendes (@CamilaMendes): Another day, another MacOS update ignored.
- Rhea Butcher (@RheaButcher): What if billionaires just paid the same amount of taxes as the rest of us instead of none?
- Frankie Boyle (@frankieboyle): If you think that the school holidays seemed to last forever when you were a kid, just wait till you’re a parent.
Mission: Impossible – Fallout
Cast: Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Rebecca Ferguson, Sean Harris, Angela Bassett, Michelle Monaghan, Alec Baldwin
Director: Christopher McQuarrie
Tagline: Some missions are not a choice.
- Action; after a mission goes awry, Ethan Hunt (Cruise) and his team must retrieve stolen plutonium while being followed by a CIA agent (Cavill).
- Is the sixth instalment in the Mission: Impossible film series (1996 – present) which is based on the television series of the same name (1966 – 1973).
- Had a budget of $178 million; has made nearly $330 million in a little over a week.
- Has garnered critical acclaim, receiving immense praise for the action and stunts, with some calling it one of the best action films ever made.
- Tom Cruise broke his ankle while filming a stunt that required jumping from one building to another, after which production was halted for a few months. The footage of the stunt that caused the injury is used in the film.
- Score composed by Lorne Balfe.
- Is likely to be followed by a sequel.
Kylie Kristen Jenner
- Born on 10th August 1997 in Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- Is the youngest daughter of 1976 Summer Olympics decathlon gold medallist Bruce (now Caitlyn) Jenner and socialite Kris Jenner.
- Has an older sister, Kendall, as well as eight older half-siblings.
- Was a cheerleader in school.
- Shot to fame after she started appearing in her family’s reality television series Keeping Up with the Kardashians (2007 – present) and its spin-offs.
- Founded the cosmetics company Kylie Cosmetics (initially known as Kylie Lip Kits) in 2015 which has reportedly sold over $630 million worth of makeup.
- Has an estimated net worth of $900 million. Was the subject of criticism when Forbes magazine claimed she was on the verge of becoming the youngest “self-made” billionaire, with many pointing out that a person who is leveraging her family’s fame and fortune is not “self-made”.
- Has been in a relationship with rapper Travis Scott since 2017 with whom she has a daughter Stormi Webster (born in February 2018).
Also born today: Ryan Eggold, Roy Keane, Suzanne Collins, Antonio Banderas, Rosanna Arquette