close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
December 18, 2014

Dharna cost PTI over Rs300 million

Sports

AFP
December 18, 2014

ISLAMABAD: If Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf’s internal correspondence is any guide, its average daily spending just on D-Chowk sit-in only was Rs2.4 million as 126 days cost Rs300.91 million and the party was feeling financially bruised by the time Imran Khan announced to end sit-in.
Expenses incurred on rallies and congregations organised outside Islamabad are apart from the above-said budget, according to party insiders.Earlier, Pakistan Awami Tehreek had announced to end sit-in only when it was financially exhausted so much so that it was running short of the financiers for two-time meals for its workers camped at D-chowk.
Regardless what PTI has gained from the sit-ins, DJ Butt has returned as victor who received Rs57.82 million thus charging an average of Rs458,904 per day. According to an internal financial analysis, opening balance of “Azadi March Fund” was Rs54.148 million until August 1. As many as Rs246.76 million funds were received from then onward amounted to Rs300.91 million. PTI’s central secretariat that was dealing with the funds was left with Rs2.6 million on December 9 and informed the central finance board about the demand that an extra Rs6.5 million were required to meet the expenses of the current month.
A break-up of payment indicates that DJ Butt received Rs57.82 million, Naeem Electric received Rs27.83 million, and scaffolding (stage/container management) cost Rs14.36 million. As many as Rs106.14 million were spent on transportation, publicity and public events.
Another Rs130 million went to the salary and administrative expenditures. Funds managers informed the party leadership that 72% payment of Azadi March vendors had been done and remaining 28% could not be made due to shortage of funds.
Giving details of next 20 days, the finance wing demanded extra funds to the tune of Rs9.17 million. According to the party insiders, this outlay does not include the cost of transportation and congregations arranged in other cities.

PTI’s central secretariat only sent party flags for out of Islamabad rallies and was not responsible for the expenses incurred over there.
Dr Tahirul Qadri ended sit-in almost a month ago largely due to funds constraints. According to the insiders, Qadri felt dejected when many of his financiers started backing out from offering two-time meals to the participants as he was staging sit-in along with around five thousand protesters.
While Qadri left, Imran Khan didn’t budge from him position, saying he would continue till his demands were met. Now tragedy in Peshawar and funds fatigue both played a crucial role in the end of sit-in.
A source close to the PTI rejected the estimates of spending on Dharna. He said these estimates are exaggerated. He, however, said the PTI has no dearth of funds and people trust their leaders and are ready to contribute anytime they are asked for it. He said Dharna was, therefore, not ended for shortage of funds. The only reason for ending Dharna was Peshawar tragedy, he asserted.