Wed August 15, 2018
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

July 1, 2013

Share

Advertisement

Terrorists strike in Quetta, Peshawar, NWA

QUETTA: As many as 49 persons, including security personnel, lost their lives and over 100 others sustained injuries in separate incidents of terrorism in Quetta, Peshawar and North Waziristan on Sunday.
Quetta was rocked by a powerful suicide bomb explosion that killed at least 28 people, including women and children, and injured 65 others in Hazara Town on Sunday night.
Police said that the bomber attempted to barge into an imambargah but detonated his explosives-laden vest after he failed. The blast took place in Aliabad Bazaar when people were busy in their routine shopping. The attack resulted in the death of as many as 28 people, most of them from the Hazara Shia community. The death toll may rise, hospital sources said.
All the injured, some of them in a precarious condition, were rushed to different hospitals in the city, including Civil Hospital and BMC Hospital, where an emergency had been declared. The blasts caused suspension of electricity supply to the area. Later, the injured were shifted to CMH for treatment.
The police and law enforcement agencies reached in the area after the blast, but the angry mob did not allow them to reach the blast site. Later, Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Mir Zubair and other senior officials of the police and administration reached the spot and supervised the rescue operation.
Heavy contingent of police and the Frontier Corps (FC) cordoned off the area as the officials of the bomb disposal squad examined the type of the explosive material.Mir Zubair told media persons that the suicide bomber had reached the spot of explosion on a bicycle. However, it is being investigated as how the suicide bomber reached there despite security measures adopted at the site. He said the bomber looks like an Uzbek.
Balochistan Governor Muhammad Khan Achakzai and Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch in their separate messages expressed deep concern over the Hazara town explosion. The chief minister directed to enhance

security measures in the city.
Meanwhile, Hazara Democratic Party (HDP), PML-N Balochistan, Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party (PkMAP), Balochistan National Party (BNP), National Party (NP) JUI-F and others strongly condemned the explosion. The HDP gave shutter down strike call for today (Monday) to castigate the explosion. The HDP also announced five-day mourning.
The Quaid-e-Millat Jafariya Agha Syed Hamid Ali Shah Moosavi strongly condemned the attack and demanded of the government to take stern action against the culprits involved in the bloodshed of innocent people.
Javed Aziz Khan adds from Peshawar: At least 17 persons, including three children, were killed and more than 45 were injured Sunday in a powerful blast that targeted a convoy of the Frontier Corps (FC) in Badaber near the provincial capital on Kohat Road.
There were reports that the armed attackers present in the area exchanged fire with the security personnel after the blast that continued for quite some time.According to Rescue 1122 officials, 17 persons, including three children and one woman, were killed and more than 45 were wounded in the blast at around 12:40pm.
Superintendent of Police (SP) Rural Shafiullah Khan told reporters that a convoy of the paramilitary FC was on way to Peshawar when it came under attack. “Most of those killed and wounded are civilians who were present in the bazaar at the time of the blast,” he said.Those wounded were taken the Lady Reading Hospital and Combined Military Hospital where state of emergency was declared.
The main Kohat-Peshawar road remained blocked for some time due to the attack. The Badaber bazaar was closed after the blast as the security forces cordoned off the area.Confirming the killing of 16 people, Deputy Commissioner Peshawar Javed Marwat said a search operation had been launched in the area to arrest those involved in the attack.
People of the nearby markets despite being in grief and shock were made to sit on the road when the security forces were carrying out search operation. The traders and shopkeepers were later cleared and allowed to go.
A police official said none of the security personnel in the convoy were among those killed. However, a few sustained injuries when their vehicle was hit by the blast. Around a dozen shops and as many vehicles were also destroyed in the deafening explosion caused by more than 40 kilograms of explosives planted in a vehicle parked on the roadside in a busy trade centre of the troubled Badaber town near Badaber Police Station. The experts of the bomb disposal unit said mortar shells were also planted with the explosives to cause maximum casualties and destruction.
Those killed in the attack were identified as Imrana Bibi, Altaf Jan, Amjad, Farooq, Ghulam Farooq, Gul Janab, Intizar, Jamil, Luqman, Riasat, Saadat, Sher Mast, Tariq Shah, Wasil and three others who could not be identified.
The wounded included three women Sumbul Bibi, Farmin and Samrin. The other injured were identified as Abdul Qadeer, Abdullah, Abdur Rahim, Abu Bakar, Adnan, Alamzeb, Ali Mohammad, Amjad, Aurangzeb, Daud, Dildar, Fazal Mohammad, Fazal Rahim, Ghazni Gul, Gul Zamir, Hanif, Hazrat Amin, Hazrat Bilal, Inam, Intikhab Alam, Javed, Kabir, Riaz, Karim, Lal Mohammad, Lal Zameen, Said Wali, Samarullah, Sajid, Shahidullah, Shahid, Shakil, Sher Zaman, Wahid, Yaqoob, Ziaul Islam, Momin, Ajmal, Inam, Aurangzeb, Shah Mohammad and Jahangir.
Provincial minister and MPA from the area, Shah Farman, who belongs to the PTI, visited the site and condoled with the families of those killed in the blast.
Our correspondent adds from Miranshah: Four soldiers were killed and 16 others injured in improvised explosive devices (IEDs) attack on a military convoy on Bannu-Miranshah road in North Waziristan.
Security officials said the military convoy was on its way towards Bannu from North Waziristan when it came under attack near Eedak village of Mir Ali subdivision.Some government officials said the IEDs planted on both sides of the road went off when the military convoy was passing through the area.
“Four soldiers died on the spot and 16 sustained injuries. The injured were airlifted to the military hospital in Bannu,” a military official told The News.Pleading anonymity, he said curfew was imposed in the entire North Waziristan from Saturday evening and continued till Sunday for safe movement of the security forces.
President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, MQM chief Altaf Hussain and Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan condemned the terrorist attacks in Quetta, Peshawar and North Waziristan. In their separate statements, they prayed that Almighty Allah rest the departed souls in eternal peace and grant courage to the bereaved families to bear the loss with equanimity.

Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement
Advertisement

Topstory

Opinion

Newspost

Editorial

National

World

Sports

Business

Karachi

Lahore

Islamabad

Peshawar