close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
June 16, 2013

30 killed as blasts, firing rock Quetta

 
June 16, 2013

QUETTA: At least 30 people, including 14 students of a women’s university, the deputy commissioner, Quetta, four FC personnel and four nurses died and 16 others sustained injuries in multiple bomb blasts and firing incidents in Quetta on Saturday.
The police officials said that 14 students of the Sardar Bahadur Khan Women’s University were killed while 20 others sustained burn wounds in the blast in a bus belonging to the university. Almost an hour later, firing and a suicide attack created panic at the Bolan Medical Complex, where most of the wounded had been shifted for treatment.
CCPO Quetta Mir Zubair Mahmood told media persons that the dead in the university bus blast were all women students, adding that it was an improvised explosive device. Another police official, Fayyaz Sunbal, said the bomb exploded after the girl students had boarded and the bus was about to leave the university to drop the students at their homes in the city.
Officials of the police, FC and administration reached the spot and cordoned off the area as officials of the bomb disposal squad examined the site of the blast.
As the dead and injured students were shifted to the Bolan Medical Complex, gunfire along with three explosions — one in the Emergency Ward — rocked the premises and at least three officials and four militants were killed in the ensuing gun battles between security personnel and the militants. More than five gunmen had taken positions on the premises, restricting security personnel from entering the complex building. Three soldiers were stated to be killed in an encounter at the hospital.
CCPO Mehmood confirmed that the Quetta Deputy Commissioner Abdul Mansoor Khan who was shot in the head and chest during the siege, died.
The siege at the Bolan Medical Complex ended after more than five hours. The police said they arrested one of the attackers, while four blew themselves up. Two pedestrians also died in the crossfire.
Deputy Commissioner,

Quetta, four personnel from the paramilitary Frontier Corps (FC) and four nurses were killed during the siege of the Bolan Medical Complex, according to police and hospital sources.
Edhi Foundation sources said that four soldiers, four nurses, DC Quetta and two unknown pedestrians died in explosions and firing in addition to the four attackers.
Following the bomb explosions and exchange of intense firing, panic and fear gripped the BMC Hospital and its vicinity.
Meanwhile, the government of Balochistan announced a one-day mourning today (Sunday) against the tragic incidents.
Spokesman for Chief Minister Balochistan, Jan Muhammad Buledi, said that the national flag would the hoisted at half mast at government buildings all over the province.
Meanwhile, Balochistan Governor Muhammad Khan Achakzai, Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch as well as the mainstream political and religious parties strongly condemned the incidents. They termed them as tragic ones.
Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch also chaired a high-level meeting to review the law and order situation, particularly following the SBKWU and BMC bomb explosions and firing incidents.
Agencies add: Meanwhile, President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the bomb blasts and gunfire at the bus of the Sardar Bahudar Khan Women University and Bolan Medical Complex.
They deeply regretted the attacks and expressed sorrow and grief over the loss of lives in the incidents.
President Zardari directed the authorities concerned to take special measures for the safety and security of the national assets.
Meanwhile, PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari strongly condemned the barbaric terrorists’ attacks on the University bus of Sardar Bahadar Khan Women University and Bolan Medical Complex resulting in a huge loss of human lives including girl students and called them inhuman and beastly acts, which the people of Pakistan would never tolerate.
Others who condemned the tragic incidents in Quetta included Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, PML-Q President Ch Shujaat Hussain, MQM leader Altaf Hussain, PTI Chairman Imran Khan, JUI-F chief Maulana Fazl-ur-Rehman, chief ministers of Punjab, Sindh and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Speaker National Assembly, Senate chairman, PPP leader Sardar Latif Khosa, NP leader Mir Hasil Bizenjo and other political and civil society leaders.
Meanwhile, the Pakistan Nursing Federation (PNF) announced three days of mourning over the killing of nurses at the Bolan Medical Complex hospital.
The media reported that at least four nurses fell victim to the deadly incidents of firing at Bolan Medical Complex followed by the blast at the Sardar Bahadur Khan Women University.
According to sources, a nurse, Iffat Fakir Muhammad, fell victim to target killing at the Bolan Medical Complex hospital while performing her duty.
The deceased hailed from Multan and was to be married in a few days. The innocent nurse sacrificed her life while performing her duties.
AP adds: The Lashkar-e-Jhangvi claimed responsibility for the attack on the university bus and the hospital. The group said one of their female suicide bombers blew up the bus because it was carrying Shias, although officials said the bus was also carrying students from other religious and ethnic groups.

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus