close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
May 6, 2013

23 militants, four soldiers killed in Khyber, NWA

Peshawar

May 6, 2013

BARA: Pakistani military officials said they succeeded in entering remote Tirah valley of Khyber tribal region on Sunday after a heavy gunbattle in which 23 militants and two soldiers were killed.
The officials said the security forces captured two main training facilities of the militants i.e. Kismat Sur and Sanghar after heavy fighting on Saturday night and Sunday morning. “Militants were seen fleeing their hideouts leaving behind a huge cache of arms and ammunition in the valley,” a senior military official said in Peshawar.
However, he didn’t confirm whether or not Tirah valley, considered to be a stronghold of militants, had been captured. The security forces suffered heavy losses last month in an attempt to wrest control of the valley from the militants.
Our Miranshah correspondent adds: Two soldiers were killed and three others sustained injuries in an improvised explosive device (IED) attack on the military convoy at Sarobi area of North Waziristan Agency on Sunday.
Security officials said the military convoy was on its way to Razmak subdivision, 40 kilometres southeast of North Waziristan’s headquarters Miranshah, when it came under attack.They said unknown persons had planted an IED on the main Miranshah-Razmak road and triggered explosion when the military convoy was passing through the area.
The two soldiers who died in the IED attack were identified as Sepoys Tahir and Ihsan while Captain Sultan Ayaz, Subedar Sarwar and Sepoy Tayyab were injured. The injured soldiers were airlifted to a military health facility in Miranshah.
The local administration as usual had clamped curfew in the entire tribal region on Sunday due to movement of the armed forces. No militant group has claimed responsibility for the latest attack on security forces.The government has signed a peace accord with the local Taliban led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur in which the two sides promised not to attack each other.