Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
December 3, 2014
Advertisement

Dasti stages sit-in outside Multan commissioner office

December 3, 2014

Share

MULTAN: MNA Jamshed Dasti on Tuesday staged a sit-in outside Multan Commissioner Office in protest against a delay in repairing a breach in the Head Muhammadwala dyke.
When MNA Jamshed Dasti reached Commissioner Office, the gates were closed by deploying a heavy contingent of police to prevent his entry. He protested against the closure of gates for an elected representative. Dozens of Dasti’s supporters started shouting slogans against the police and the PML-N government. The officials opened the gate when media teams reached there. Later, he entered the office and staged the sit-in.
Dasti’s supporters were carrying banners inscribed with slogans against the delay in repairing the dyke. Meanwhile, Commissioner Capt Asadullah Khan invited Dasti to his office through his messenger, but Dasti refused to meet the commissioner in his office. Dasti said he was an elected MNA and the commissioner should visit him. At last, the commissioner came out of his room and shook hand with Dasti in his sit-in. The commissioner joined his sit-in and held talks with him.
Dasti apprised the commissioner about people’s miseries due to the dyke breach four months ago. The commissioner said that he had just talked to the National Highway Authority, which had assured him that repair work would be completed within four days. The commissioner told journalists that Rs 70 million had been earmarked for dyke repair at Head Muhammadwala.
Talking to journalists, MNA Jamshed Dasti said he could not join the PTI’s Islamabad meeting on November 30 due to lack of money. He said the PML-N rulers were not sincere with South Punjab and their sympathies with the remote region reflected from delayed work at Head Muhammadwala. The dyke was dynamited on September last to divert the floodwater from Multan as the raging water posed a threat to the city during flood in the River Chenab. He said over 20 million people lived across the river belt and along the road to Layyah, Bhakkar,

Mianwali and Dera Ismail Khan.
He alleged that grave mistakes were committed during the construction of the bridge and major security embankments - Akbar, Nawabpur and Escape Flood - were not taken into account during a hydraulic model study conducted by the Irrigation Research Institute before construction of the bridge. Criticising the Multan legislators, Dasti said that not a single representative could raise voice against the four-month delay in repair at Head Muhammadwala.
He said that the National Highway Authority had constructed Head Muhammadwala Bridge to connect Multan with Muzaffargarh district. He said that Head Muhammadwala Bridge was designed for a maximum high flood of 422.50 ft, which is approximately eight ft higher than the top level of Akbar Flood embankment. He said that it was very alarming situation and it should be raised by eight feet.

Advertisement

Comments

Advertisement

Topstory

Opinion

Newspost

Editorial

National

World

Sports

Business

Karachi

Lahore

Islamabad

Peshawar