Daughter-in-law of senior Islamabad journalist 'murdered': police

Web Desk
September 23, 2022

Journalist Ayaz Amir's son has been taken into custody in connection with his suspected involvement in the murder

Share Next Story >>>
An Islamabad police contingent passes through AK Fazlul Haq Road. — INP

The daughter-in-law of senior Islamabad journalist Ayaz Amir was found dead in the Chak Shehzad area of the capital, police said on Friday.

According to police, the woman — identified as Sarah — was allegedly murdered by her husband, Amir's son. The body was recovered from a farmhouse in Shahzad Town, where according to sources within the family, Amir's former wife was staying as well.

"The incident is being investigated; whatever facts come out, will be shared," police said.

Amir's son, identified as Shahnawaz, has been taken into custody in connection with his suspected involvement in the murder, police added.

Meanwhile, Sarah's body has been sent to Pakistan Institute Of Medical Sciences (PIMS), according to police.

Speaking to the media outside the farmhouse, journalist Ayaz Amir said: "Such an incident should not happen to anyone; no one should have to bear this shock."

"It is being said that Shahnawaz was drunk," he was asked, to which he replied: "What can I say about this? It is a legal matter."

Sources within the family said that Sarah had arrived in Pakistan yesterday from Dubai, where she used to work.

An argument between Sarah and Shahnawaz broke out last night, the sources said.

According to the sources, Sarah got in touch with Shahnawaz on a social networking website, after which the two got married, three months ago.

Sarah reached Pakistan yesterday and even bought a car, they said.

Shahnawaz allegedly hit Sarah's head with an iron object, the sources said, adding that when she fainted, Shahnawaz put her in the bathroom tub and opened the tap.

When Shahnawaz's mother saw this, she informed the police, the family sources added.

Forensic evidence has been collected from the murder site, a police spokesperson said. The evidence, including the murder weapon, has been sent to the laboratory for analysis.

More From National