Out this week
- Desperados (starring Anna Camp, Robbie Amell, Nasim Pedrad, Lamorne Morris) – comedy; a woman and her friends go to Mexico to delete an email she sent to her new boyfriend.
- Hamilton (starring Lin-Manuel Miranda, Leslie Odom Jr., Phillipa Soo, Renée Elise Goldsberry) – drama, live recording of the Broadway musical; based on the life of one of America’s founding fathers, Alexander Hamilton (Miranda).
- Relic (starring Emily Mortimer, Robyn Nevin, Bella Heathcote) – horror; a manifestation of dementia consumes a family.
- Kat Dennings (OfficialKat): It would be a hilarious time to wake up after being cryogenically frozen.
- Candice Thompson (jokesbyCandice): Racially we are torn but if there’s one thing we can collectively agree on is everyone still hates women.
- Seth MacFarlane (SethMacFarlane): The amount of time and energy required to debunk bad science/conspiracy theories on social media kind of makes you think we’d be better off without aforementioned social media.
Thomas Cruise Mapother IV
- Born on 3rd July 1962 in Syracuse, New York, U.S.
- Has three sisters: Lee Anne, Marian, and Cass.
- Grew up in near poverty.
- Parents split when he was a child.
- Initially aspired to become a priest.
- Started acting in school.
- Made his screen debut with a minor role in the film Endless Love (1981).
- Got his breakthrough with Risky Business (1983). Has since starred in films including Top Gun (1986), The Color of Money (1986), Rain Man (1988), Born on the Fourth of July (1989), A Few Good Men (1992), The Firm (1993), Interview with the Vampire (1994), Jerry Maguire (1996), Magnolia (1999), Minority Report (2002), War of the Worlds (2005), Jack Reacher (2012), and Edge of Tomorrow (2014), as well as the Mission: Impossible series (1996 – present).
- Is one of the highest-grossing actors of all time.
- Has been married and divorced thrice: to actresses Mimi Rogers (1987 – 1990), Nicole Kidman (1990 – 2001; 2 adopted children), and Katie Holmes (2006 – 2012; 1 daughter).
- Is a Scientologist.
Also born today: Elle King, Andrea Barber, Patrick Wilson, Julian Assange
Cast: Penélope Cruz, Édgar Ramírez, Wagner Moura, Gael García Bernal, Ana de Armas
Director: Olivier Assayas
Tagline: Traitors or heroes?
- Drama; five Cuban political prisoners are held in the U.S. on charges of espionage and other illegal activities.
- Inspired by real events.
- Based on the book The Last Soldiers of the Cold War by Fernando Morais.
- Has received mixed to negative reviews; critics found it overstuffed and confusing.
- The second collaboration between Wagner Moura and Ana de Armas, the first being Sergio (2020).
- Score composed by Eduardo Cruz.