Punjab government advises centre against extending Nawaz Sharif's bail

Web Desk
February 26, 2020

Fawad Chaudhry lauds the Punjab government says the decision was a ‘good step’

Share Next Story >>>

The Punjab government on Wednesday asked the federal government to approach the concerned court and trial court to oppose the extension of bail to former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, Geo News reported.

“We have sent a letter to the federal government now they will take action,” Law Minister Raja Basharat said, adding that the provincial government has recommended the centre to approach the court in this matter.

Sources within the provincial law ministry also confirmed that a letter has been sent to the federal government.

Fawad calls for independent commission

Federal Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry lauded the Punjab government and said the decision was a ‘good step’.

The minister in a post on Twitter called for the formation of an independent commission to check whether the earlier reports submitted by Nawaz were authentic or not.

"In the next step, it needs to be determined whether the medical reports on which the bail was granted were made through forgery, and if this is true then who was involved?” questioned the minister adding that an independent commission was needed to investigate this.

The Punjab government on Tuesday had rejected Nawaz's application for extension in bail, stating that the PML-N supremo has failed to provide the required medical reports.

Basharat while addressing a press conference alongside provincial health minister Dr Yasmin Rashid and information minister Fayyazul Hassan Chohan said the government had repeatedly asked the PML-N leader to furnish his reports.

“He has not been admitted to any hospital since he went to London for treatment. We have repeatedly asked his physician Dr Adnan Khan about the cardiac procedure. Dr Adnan failed to give any particular date,” Basharat said.

“The Islamabad High Court had given eight weeks to Nawaz. In the last 16 weeks we have not received any new reports from London,” he had said.

The Punjab law minister added that a special board was constituted by the chief minister which kept requesting for fresh reports.

“After seven to eight observations, the board asked for new reports, however, the response we received from them was that the reports that had already been sent were conclusive and a decision should be taken on them,” he noted.

“Since no new reports were sent, the Punjab cabinet reached a decision on them and decided not to extend the bail,” Basharat said.

Shehbaz terms decision as 'political revenge'

On Tuesday PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif had said the decision was political revenge. “The Punjab government’s decision is petty-mindedness and political revenge.”

He added the Punjab government had signed on the documents allowing Nawaz to travel abroad. “Today the Punjab government on the basis of political revenge, went back on its decision. The Punjab government's assertion that Nawaz's treatment was possible in Pakistan was nothing but a condemnable lie,” he said.

The PML-N leader further said that they had submitted all the reports on time. “Nawaz Sharif is not being allowed to live. Getting treatment is every person’s basic right and we will not comprise on Nawaz’s health.”

“Nawaz will continue to undergo treatment as per the doctor’s decision,” Shehbaz had said.

The court had permitted to remove Nawaz's name from the Exit Control List in October without any conditions for four weeks.

In its decision, the Lahore High Court said that in case Nawaz's health doesn't improve then the bail can be extended, adding that the government officials will be able to contact Nawaz through the Pakistani embassy.



More From Pakistan