Karachi News
February 02,2015

Jinnah Hospital nurse found dead

Kamran Mansoor
A 22-year-old trainee nurse of the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) was found dead, apparently after injecting herself with a muscle relaxant, in a room of the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU) on Sunday.
Youngest among her four siblings, she was a resident of the Korangi Crossing and was the daughter of a scrap dealer.
JPMC Director Seemi Jamali while talking to The News said A* was a 4th year student at the Department of Nursing and was assigned a 12 hour shift, 8pm to 8am, at the ICU Surgical Ward.
It was late on Saturday night when she informed a male attendant about going to the rest room, situated within the ward, to take a nap.
According to the attendant, he had gone to wake her up after the condition of one of the patients deteriorated but found her lying on the bed in an unconscious condition.
According to the Director she was immediately shifted to the Emergency Ward but was declared dead during examination.
Seemi further added that a syringe containing traces of muscle relaxant - higher dose of which can cause a patient’s death either due to heart failure or paralysis - was found from the room.
The doctors were, however, not granted the permission to perform a post-mortem examination by the family members.
A case was registered at the Sadar police station. Further investigations are underway.

Twenty-five-year-old Nighat Fatima, daughter of Sabir Hussain, committed suicide by slitting her throat in her residence situated in Sikanderabad Colony.
Personnel of the Liaquatabad police station shifted the body to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for medico-legal formalities.
SHO Liquatabad Ghulam Fareed told The News that the deceased had been mentally unstable since the death of her new born daughter and was seeking treatment by a neurosurgeon in Liaquatabad General Hospital. Divorced by her husband two years ago she had been living with her parents since then.

Read Complete Story

More From Karachi