Crown Princess Elisabeth of Belgium is winning praise for her humility and solidarity, as she refuses to use her royal status to bypass visa restrictions affecting international students at Harvard University.
The 23 year old heir to the Belgian throne, currently pursuing a master’s degree at the Ivy League institution, has chosen to stand shoulder to shoulder with classmates impacted by a controversial Trump-era policy that temporarily banned international students from attending in-person classes on student visas.
According to royal correspondent Wim Dehandschutter, the princess made a conscious decision not to seek special treatment.
"The Crown Princess finds it important to show solidarity with the other foreign students," he said.
"She started her studies with them, made many international friends, and even runs in the university’s running club with some of them."
The restrictive policy, introduced in May during Donald Trump’s presidency, sparked outrage and legal battles before being temporarily blocked by a Harvard-led lawsuit.
The pivotal court hearing, set for July 21 in Boston, coincides with Belgium’s National Day when she is expected to appear alongside her family in Brussels for official celebrations.
Currently back in Belgium for an internship and royal engagements, Elisabeth remains committed to navigating the situation without using her royal status to seek special favors.
“Elisabeth and her parents have indicated that they do not want preferential treatment,” said royal journalist Wim Dehandschutter.
“She understands how sensitive it would be to benefit from her position as future queen. It would send the wrong signal to all ‘ordinary’ students.”
If the court upholds the ban, Harvard is reportedly developing contingency plans, including offering online classes for affected students.
Should that happen, Princess Elisabeth may return to the UK, where she previously earned a degree in Politics and History from Lincoln College, Oxford.