Says partnership with Maulana Falzur Rehman to be long-lasting; will jointly build new Pakistan; opponents destined to stage sit-ins; PML-N to emerge victorious; reiterates pledge to overcome power crisis by 2018; performs ground-breaking of 285-km DI Khan-Hakla Motorway; Fazl says Imran has emerged as biggest thief; JUI-F to foil conspiracies against democracy
DERA ISMAIL KHAN: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Tuesday said that consecutive defeats of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) candidates in the by-elections in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa showed that the province was slipping out of the party’s hands.
Speaking at a public meeting at the Rata Kulachi Sports Stadium here after the ground-breaking ceremony of the 285-kilometre-long Dera Ismail Khan-Hakla Motorway, he said the project would be completed in two years at a cost of Rs125 billion.
He visited Dera Ismail Khan on the invitation of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman, who is the MNA from the district. The prime minister had recently paid a visit to the neighbouring Bannu also on the Maulana’s invitation and announced a number of development projects for the district.
The prime minister claimed the PTI would not be able to stay in power in KP after the 2018 general elections.
“You won’t retain power in KP as you have failed to deliver,” Nawaz declared. He added that the PTI candidate’s fourth position in the recent by-election on the provincial assembly constituency PK-8 in Peshawar had exposed its popularity in the province.
The prime minister said that his opponents were destined to stage protest sit-ins while his government would continue serving the people and getting successes. “Our opponents stage dharnas but the masses have rejected them,” he added. Nawaz said electricity loadshedding would end by 2018 and the masses would get uninterrupted and cheap electricity.
The prime minister said that a partnership between the JUI-F and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) was being formed to work for the development of the country. He said the partnership will be long-lasting, which will build a new Pakistan.
He announced the provision of natural gas to Dera Ismail Khan and Tank districts. He announced Rs870 million for the provision of gas to Dera Ismail Khan and Rs500 million for the development of the district.
Nawaz Sharif also announced Rs120 billion for the Chashma Right Bank Canal uplift project, adding that work on it would start within three months. He said his government had allocated 65 percent funds for the Chashma Right Bank Canal uplift project, which would irrigate 300,000 acres of land, adding that the remaining 35 percent would be allocated by the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government. The prime minister also announced the establishment of an agriculture university in Dera Ismail Khan. He allocated Rs80 million for the Tank Zam feasibility study to protect Dera Ismail Khan from floods.
Speaking on the occasion, Maulana Fazlur Rehman said that recent disclosures by the Panama Leaks proved Imran Khan to be the biggest thief. He said Imran Khan’s support for a Jew in the London mayoral election against a Muslim candidate showed his love for the enemies of Islam.
The JUI-F chief said the prime minister had accepted all the demands of the opposition parties on the issue of investigation into the PanamaLeaks, but they backed out. He said those who have no vision and had nothing to do wanted to occupy the politics of Pakistan, adding that his party would foil all conspiracies against democracy.
The Maulana asked the political forces to refrain from taking steps that could derail democracy. “We shouldn’t take things to a stage where we start lamenting the loss of democracy,” he cautioned.